Censorship in the OpenMandriva forums?

Well it is a family: Mandriva Mageia ROSA Unity PCLOS. Brothers and sisters living together in perfect harmony - so it deserved som space of its own.

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

viking60
Über-Berserk

Censorship in the OpenMandriva forums?

Postby viking60 » 26 Nov 2013, 12:00

I have had this weird experience over in the Mandriva forums. I posted a video of the working openbox and Wayne Salle asked me some questions how it is done etc.
http://forums.openmandriva.org/en/discu ... her#latest
At some point he asked me to change my avatar.
And I had to answer him truthfully that something was not working or that I did not have permissions to change my avatar.
Messages like this one pop up:
I also informed him that my avatar works fine in the German OM forum:
http://forums.openmandriva.org/de/discu ... top#latest

Today Waynes question and my answer have been removed. Are they suppressing critique? Do they censor any suggestion of something being wrong? Are they pretending that they have a great forum (it is not IMHO)?
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

jkerr82508
Guru-Berserk

Re: Censorship in the OpenMandriva forums?

Postby jkerr82508 » 26 Nov 2013, 13:57

I recall reading that exchange and so can vouch for the fact that the posts did exist at one time. Whether their going "missing in action" is due to cock-up or conspiracy is anyone's guess.

Incidentally I get the same "no permission" page if I try to access signature settings in my profile.

The OM forum is (technically) one of the worst forums I've ever experienced, but I admit that I'm old-school.

Jim

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 26 Nov 2013, 15:33

Thanks Jim! I do agree 100 % with you - and I will not admit that I am old school :-D
I have asked for the reason (I almost cannot believe that it was done on purpose) - if they do not answer we know what happened.

It is not that I am so much in love with my own words that I believe the world is missing something great - but most forums that pride themselves with freedom would leave it, or move it to another more appropriate topic. (And I was very polite and diplomatic - Berserk diplomacy so to speak When someone asks it is polite to answer in our book :lol: )
I removed the integrated video as a small "punishment" - without explanation - as it seems to be customary.
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.

jkerr82508
Guru-Berserk

Postby jkerr82508 » 26 Nov 2013, 23:49

It seems it's your fault after all. :berserkf

Rugyada has posted.

@viking60
See here http://forums.openmandriva.org/en/discu ... ing-avatar

PS> As a forum admin you should know the common practice to split offtopic comments into another proper discussion in a more proper place :)
(Actually this is OT again... )

I always thought it was good practice (or just good manners) to leave a link behind when posts were moved out of a thread.

Jim

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 27 Nov 2013, 00:28

Aha that makes sense since it was off topic. I did try to search for it but couldn't find it - so what was I to belive :confused I don't think it was much of my fault - a link to the moved location would have been appropriate since they gave it a new topic title (that is ok too , but I did not know how to search for it).

But I am happy with this simply being a misunderstanding. No problem - and life is good :s

What should we do without our Oracle berserk to keep us on track? (Even you; with your über oracle-radar did not detect the moved posts) :confused And I will generously asume all guilt since I am a peace loving Berserk - even though it was NOT my fault :berserkf :berserk2 :mrgreen:

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 27 Nov 2013, 01:20

Meh. I wonder honestly if it's anything new. I don't think so.
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 27 Nov 2013, 01:33

Oh it's new :) It might be that the forum over there is so fancy that old school guys like me and Jim simply have missed some new and fancy stuff...
We don't like that forum :snooty:

But in any case this has been a storm in a glass of water

proyvind

Postby proyvind » 13 Jan 2017, 16:28

While the OpenMandriva Association was created in order to support, organize community and fund development, it was never meant to control the project.

The project was already properly managed by experienced people, so OMA hijacking the project and taking full control of mailing lists and not adhering to common etiquette and how free software projects needs to be organized, the organization which touts itself as a democractically run organization is more practicising democracy in the same sense as the Democratic People's Republic of Korea..

All mailing lists are censored, forum as well.

Only thing I'm not banned from is irc channel, as it's not a public place drawing attention to discussions, while they still benefit and rely great from my good will and contributions...

After posting my last mail to cooker cooker getting me entirely banned from raising the issues that almost all of had been discussed with the former president, now vice-president of association, which were supposed to raise these subjects himself, due to being severely unhappy with both tpg's style and lso the lack of trust in kate lebedeff's lack of honesty and wasting all of funds provided to OMA from Leonid Reiman (which employed by) in record time, forcing the association to amongst other things to sell the 9 servers Reiman donated to our use.
The project members and developers, never even got their hands on or access to the hardware which would've benefitted them most, but rather OMA kept full control of put to their modest use, for which a simple cheap vps or two for a couple of bucks each would've been sufficient to cover their needs.

Also besides being moderated so I'm unable to post to list, nor even got the chance to reply to post by the post hidden by "OpenMandrivaAssociation" used as sender, the list has almost died competely out in favour of way too much taking place on irc, where only a few idle (tpg despite of being supposed to be project manager, does not), and the visibility, activity and open discussions have been making the project implode and managed in such a way that makes it completely unviable for and lacking appeal to attract and support greater developer base...

As some of us are working towards a new startup based on cooker & ABF with the ambitions of delivering the next-gen IoT platform, I've recently started picking up work again and will do whatever it takes to solve this issue.
his
Talks about merging mageia and cooker are also very positively met these days, so maybe reuniting the two in an ABF instance hosted ourself, with mageia used for initial platform to base on and import work to, offering an alternative and to host their aging svn base repository system on our infrastructure and perform their migration to, additionally having professional full time employees at disposable should hopefully attract both distros to rebase and work togeether against same cooker project, while having their own individual projects based on top of with support for separate branding and all..

I also still hold the original secret signing key for cooker, while never abandoned the project (which the responsibility for was handed to me personally by Mandriva), so this would be a legitimate successor even as well, hopefully helping drawing recognition and credit from, both commercialy and towards community..

For anyone attending FOSDEM this year, I will attend, and this together with our businiss will be what some of us will go there for having meetings about and discussing, so if anyone is going to FOSDEM this year and has any interest in the upcoming businiss startup under the working title "MoondrakeSoft" and wanna know more, don't hesitate getting in touch. :)

Return to “The Mandriva family”