OpenMandriva

Well it is a family: Mandriva Mageia ROSA Unity PCLOS. Brothers and sisters living together in perfect harmony - so it deserved som space of its own.

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

viking60
Über-Berserk

Re: OpenMandriva

Postby viking60 » 03 Apr 2013, 08:42

There is no problem to remove the ROSA panel and replace it with the standard you can have both the clasical menu and the ROSA smartphone menu:

But I fear you are right because they seem to have sacrificed Drakconf for some ROSA stuff. Drakconf cannot even be installed at the moment. If the ROSA guys think they can replace the good old Mandriva control centre then they have a lot of confidence (no Nobel price for intelligence though :berserk2 ).

Regarding not mixing the two; I think that is impossible at this point. The "good" old Mandriva build system was a chaos as I understand it an ROSAS ABF is the only thing that is usable for continuing this distro.

I don't know what Mageia has done about that though - I don't think they are on ABF so maybe that is the distro for you :mrgreen:
At least they are clearly not mixing with the ROSA stuff.
I find the ROSA Document timeline very useful so I pick and choose the best.
Here is my usual rant about what I do not like:
:A
What I do not like are attempts to control the distro via the "cloud".
That is fashionable these but and I don't care. Ubuntu is doing it too. The day the company goes bankrupt; all your private data in the cloud could be lost or sold to North Korea - who knows :confused
In Russia they have the tradition of using these data for extortion. So you will receive a letter from a KGB spin off telling you to pay up or else your wife will get the pics of you and that mistress in the nude....
In terms of privacy - the Russians have a long way to go before they will be able to even spell it. Ask Garry Kasparov or that Yokus Oil guy who criticized Putin....

That is all very critical and Russia is improving, but my point is: Do not trust clouds you cannot see and control even if this is "nicely" incorporated into your software.
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 03 Apr 2013, 10:59

proyvind wrote:a
Ie. notice new sound theme, ie. startup & shutdown sound, haven't received any feedback from anyone yet (even though it was included in alpha2 already, but improved for beta).

That might be because it is "the sound of silence".
In the Alpha I had the good old Jungle sound though. Going for the good and the bad and the ugly maybe that'll fix it....
(I do have sound - but not system login sound).
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.

Blackcrack

Postby Blackcrack » 03 Apr 2013, 12:09

viking60 wrote:There is no problem to remove the ROSA panel and replace it with the standard you can have both the clasical menu and the ROSA smartphone menu:
[ vemo-removed...]
But I fear you are right because they seem to have sacrificed Drakconf for some ROSA stuff. Drakconf cannot even be installed at the moment. If the ROSA guys think they can replace the good old Mandriva control centre then they have a lot of confidence (no Nobel price for intelligence though :berserk2 ).

you say it ! :s
Drakconf it is a mus be for OMandrXXX , "A Redhat based Distro and a Configurations center with Wissards and Configurations Tools" :dance:

viking60 wrote:Regarding not mixing the two; I think that is impossible at this point. The "good" old Mandriva build system was a chaos as I understand it an ROSAS ABF is the only thing that is usable for continuing this distro.

I don't know what Mageia has done about that though - I don't think they are on ABF so maybe that is the distro for you :mrgreen:

Du willst mich aber jetzt nich verarschen.. /you don't play a game with me hea ? :lolup
hey, the Mageia forg hey.. :naughty: Maybe was not the best who was want the Managers of Mandriva, but the
the betrayal was more worst from Ann and the ex-employee's and follower from Ann..
it has only taken the floor of Mandriva almost but we speak here not about Mageia.. .. isn't it ;)
but this is a other theme and off..

viking60 wrote:At least they are clearly not mixing with the ROSA stuff.
I find the ROSA Document timeline very useful so I pick and choose the best.

maybe it want be in future better .. this was a Beta.. and i want say..
and I would say, rather alfa as a beta! That must be better! ;)
Or i want say, Per can it better.. *look to Per Øyvind" :mrgreen:

viking60 wrote:Here is my usual rant about what I do not like:
:A
What I do not like are attempts to control the distro via the "cloud".
That is fashionable these but and I don't care. Ubuntu is doing it too. The day the company goes bankrupt; all your private data in the cloud could be lost or sold to North Korea - who knows :confused
In Russia they have the tradition of using these data for extortion. So you will receive a letter from a KGB spin off telling you to pay up or else your wife will get the pics of you and that mistress in the nude....
In terms of privacy - the Russians have a long way to go before they will be able to even spell it. Ask Garry Kasparov or that Yokus Oil guy who criticized Putin....

That is all very critical and Russia is improving, but my point is: Do not trust clouds you cannot see and control even if this is "nicely" incorporated into your software.

2nd ! agreed ..
The Cloud's it's not coming from the Free world my frend .. no,no !
and signed :cheers

Woodguy2

Postby Woodguy2 » 03 Apr 2013, 14:54

viking60 wrote:Drakconf is in the repos but it fails with a lot of dependency errors when I try to install it. :confused
Here is the first video of Mandriva 2013 Beta
]

Drakconf installed fine here! Did need to load Vesa from install to get the beta to run in Vbox though. Had to fool around a bit to get the networking to run, also. Other than that the beta is running quite well!

Oh, also had to manually add repos.
I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 03 Apr 2013, 14:58

Blackcrack wrote:Du willst mich aber jetzt nich verarschen..

Hab ja nicht gewusst dass du dich nur ungern verarschen lässt :-D :cheers

Regrading drakconf/MCC I am happy to report that it is all working now after an update so we can forget all remarks regarding this above :s
This thing is coming together nicely.

And welcome Woodguy2 :greetings I have the same experience with it as you do (now).

Edit:
Although I suspect this has been added "last minute" drakx11 when picked from drakconf does not work as it should:
Could not install the x11-driver-input-vboxmouse package
When I ignore it I get to pick the drivers though...
This does confirm Jkerr's report above...
So optimistically I changed to the vboxdriver again because I was sure proyvind had fixed it by now and :C NM started its eternal search for network.
Hitting enter may give you enough time to log in and start drakx11 but be fast because that NM will start writing again...
Then while networkmanager presents its scroling art in the background you can change back to Vesa - it does work...

Blackcrack

Postby Blackcrack » 04 Apr 2013, 08:50

Hi Woodguy2 :greetings

viking60 wrote:
Blackcrack wrote:Du willst mich aber jetzt nich verarschen..

Hab ja nicht gewusst dass du dich nur ungern verarschen lässt :-D :cheers

:arrogant: :mrgreen: *giggle*

viking60 wrote:
Regrading drakconf/MCC I am happy to report that it is all working now after an update so we can forget all remarks regarding this above :s
This thing is coming together nicely.

eehh ftp ? i did think, the .ru is not accessable.. ?
is there anywhere a nice working mirror as puplic one ?
who i can access per anonymus ftp login and maybe can make a mirroring
to my server wit 3 tb at home ?

viking60 wrote:

And welcome Woodguy2 :greetings I have the same experience with it as you do (now).

:greetings again.

best regards
Blacky

jkerr82508
Guru-Berserk

Postby jkerr82508 » 04 Apr 2013, 08:59

Blackcrack wrote:eehh ftp ? i did think, the .ru is not accessable.. ?
is there anywhere a nice working mirror as puplic one ?
who i can access per anonymus ftp login and maybe can make a mirroring
to my server wit 3 tb at home ?

Some of the Unity Linux mirrors have cooker repo's, such as this one:
http://mirror.qubenet.net/mirror/unity- ... po/cooker/

A list of Unity linux mirrors is here:

http://unity-linux.org/mm/

You'll need to explore each mirror in order to find the cooker repo. Not all Unity Linux mirrors have a complete up-to-date cooker repo.

Jim

Blackcrack

Postby Blackcrack » 04 Apr 2013, 09:20

thy Jim :gimme

edit :

Code: Select all

[blackcrack@blackysgate16 ~]$ su -
Passwort:
[root@blackysgate16 ~]# urpmi.addmedia --distrib --all http://mirror.qubenet.net/mirror/unity-linux/repo/cooker/x86_64/
adding medium "main2"
adding medium "main updates2"
adding medium "restricted2"
adding medium "restricted updates2"
adding medium "non-free2"
adding medium "non-free updates2"
adding medium "contrib2"
adding medium "contrib updates2"
...retrieving failed: curl failed: exited with 22

no metadata found for medium "main2"
[root@blackysgate16 ~]#

Code: Select all

[root@blackysgate16 ~]# urpmi.addmedia --distrib --mirrorlist 'http://abf.rosalinux.ru/downloads/cooker/repository/x86_64'

has work at last..

update proceed ...
feel me now at home.. miamm.. :whistle:

and p.s.: who knows not the past, they dont know what's goes on.. :T

best regards
Blacky
Last edited by Blackcrack on 05 Apr 2013, 06:10, edited 5 times in total.

rolf
Guru-Berserk

Postby rolf » 04 Apr 2013, 14:52

Apparently, POK has "forked the fork" :)

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 04 Apr 2013, 16:25

Oh wow!
While Per Øyvind is famous for wildly swinging his club :berserk2 there are a few points that are unclear here:

He does not respect the "democracy in the association"
[14:20:03] <Raphael1> To be more precise, the fact is not that Per Øyvind did not agree some process, but ignored the democratic nature nature of the association, and considers democratic decisions from the association invalid

[14:25:20] <MatthewDawkins> and respect the democratic process that we have implemented

Que?
What democracy?
Who gets to vote besides those four (Who is "we")? Is it one of those "anyone can join" associations for anybody that can do a triple somersault and register on 100 different sites? I am pretty sure that it is not huge.

It looks more like they are protecting a trademark (do some of them actually own it?) and are willing to take any distro to represent it. (Cooperating with Mageia was a point which pretty much is regarded impossible with Per Øyvind onboard ).
[14:24:39] <MatthewDawkins> but, please respect the branding of the main project OMA

If you ask me OpenMandriva is a joke so far. And the democratic association has a plan for it that is not compatible with proyvinds actions???

Ha anybody seen those plans? Could proyvind possible know what they are?

Cooperation with Mageia is obviously part of it and that makes me wonder: Magaia uses RPM4 while Rosa/OMA use RPM5.
Is that a good or bad in terms of cooperation, and how close can it be?

Above all can we expect new "get a face" actions to keep interest up while the distro is lacking - for yet another year? :mandriva:

Why does nobody listen to me!!!! :berserkf :S GET THE DISTRO OUT FIRST and start killing each other afterwords.
And is there any point in OMA when we already have ROSA?
We have had a enough of plans and organisation by now - we want a distro - the last one was in 2011!
Is proyvind being punished for being pro active or for being a loose canon on deck? :confused
Why do they not join Mageia? Mageia could need the extra hands?
I am a simple Magazine reader so could anyone of our Geniuses explain this to me ? :confused
Edit:
And for the record I think this is slander people can be sued for; especially when made public:
[15:04:32] <bero> jclvanier: And if he wants to he can sabotage things by adding hard-to-find bugs or even deleting good commits (not that I think he'd do that)

[15:05:24] <Pulfer> bero: Well, as Per is insane, it's hard to predict how far he can go if he gets really mad about our decision..

After all he has been working with Mandriva for years - so it is at least uncalled for...
It is generally accepted that one mans freedom stops at the other mans nose tip - beyond that is not good :-D
Time for some music then:

rolf
Guru-Berserk

Postby rolf » 04 Apr 2013, 17:32

I'll keep this short.

Transfer of the Mandriva community properties from Mandriva SA required that an association or similar legal entity be created, which it was, with many contributors since June 2012 besides POK, in fact, since POK has his own agenda, w/o his cooperation. He was included on the side of the organization. From all that I have seen, he rejected this legally-required entity, unilaterally.

Per went ahead and made changes to the OMA property, patching the rpms to include his branding, his file-naming, w/o going through channels. OMA took action to preserve its established rules. OMA's a work in progress. That doesn't make it invalid. There is no punishment of Per intended. That's in the log. There is extraordinary effort made to give Per additional opportunity to participate in these actions, since, although notified, he does not participate. It's in the log. There was a vote, at one point, of 11 members in favor of restricting Per's access to avoid his unilateral actions with the build system and git. There is discussion of providing space on ABF for Per to do whatever he wants with Moondrake on his own. There is mention of how Rosa contracted with Per for Rosa to pay him to work with OMA, which he has not. Read the log. All of it.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 04 Apr 2013, 17:52

Well in a situation where they need Developers it is a funeral to exclude them.
The exclusion of council members by other council members is also dubious - It should be done by those who elected him to the council (that is democracy).
If those are the same people (the council electing themselves) then it would be legitimate to question them as a FOSS association.
Legal entities do not have to be democratic - most of them are not.
So I have read all of it and the general picture that Per has PO'ed all of them is very clear. That is where my automatic underdog protection system kicks in. Even if proyvind has perfected the art of P..ing people off over the years.
I believe that he is active and the one thing OMA needs is activity. He might be too passionate about Mandriva sometimes though.
But don't get me wrong I appreciate that people (democratically or not) are investing in FOSS. I just do not see a stable OpenMandriva coming out of this.

To much French revolution style IMHO.
Edit:
That own branding without asking anybody is a bit over the top though. But maybe he was in the process of gathering a majority for it; then it would have been OK - right?

Return to “The Mandriva family”