OpenMandriva

Well it is a family: Mandriva Mageia ROSA Unity PCLOS. Brothers and sisters living together in perfect harmony - so it deserved som space of its own.

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

viking60
Über-Berserk

Re: OpenMandriva

Postby viking60 » 09 Apr 2013, 11:28

Sorry you said "this place" so a short explanation was called for.

And you are the absolute heroine in here.
All the old boys worship you and it is a shame that you do not get enough attention. :S Get your act together old boys!

:bowlol Image

@AleQ
That is an initiative - I like that. If you are right or they prove you wrong by releasing a perfect distro. In both cases something is won.
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

Blackcrack

Postby Blackcrack » 10 Apr 2013, 15:18

Hi :D

Joerg told me, he want build up a clean Mandrakelike Distro and i should playing the bush drum :

:S
Hi Developer and User, :C

Joerg, DaJudge had say to me , he have a Buldserver parts with whatercooling
and some parts at home and want support a fully fresh "Mandrake" Distribution for us.
He as Developer from different distributions of Linux has enough of a head-heavy OpenMandriva !
and a slow motion creating Community , who say only the Consil what's goes on.
the last fail was the trouble who had easy create a Developer an OpenMandriva-Beta-ISO .
It was Per Øyvind Karlsen who have create a test Iso for the Community for reports and feedbacks
moondrake-gnu-linux-2013-beta-twelve-angry-penguins-x86_64-dvd.iso
These are now enough mistakes, failings and errors from the Consil !
Therewith with we are supporting Per Øyvind Karlsen and give therewith all
Developers the possibility to create a free common standards on an Linux to build,
the possibility to do with us and create our in common standard created Linux.

>>> BACK TO THE ROOTS <<< :cheers

Now want build up joerg a Domain for "Old School Mandrake" for us with a Forum now.
Therewith we need a Name for a totaly Fresh Common Standard Conform Linux
in sence of Gaël Duval conform old School Mandrake with Draketools
and RPM-Builded Distriebution with .

Can you help us ?
Do you have maybe a Name for us ?

A name for a Mandrake conform Distribution

If you have a Name,
tell it Joerg
dajudge61@googlemail.com

we can not use Mandrake, we can not use Mandriva

My suggestion would be "CookerDrake"
why, the Developer cook the linux with DrakeTools as Control Center
what do you think ? Do you have a name ?

male him dajudge61@googlemail.com

Gaël , do you have maybe a name for this Distro as Mandrake Founder ?

If we are have possibility to name it, can Joerg create the Domain.
He as Supporter and Developer for the next 6 Month ! (and he have a other supporter at back)

you are know the past of Mandrake we want revive it ! A realy correckt Linux Distriebution...
and not Header-killed and changed trash-code Linux, now, a real Correct Linux with common standards !

p.s.: Gaël this, is the possibility ;) http://www.osnews.com/story/13971
p.s.s.: To Rugyada please forward the mail inside of MIB , NicCo, Quiroga and all other, we can have a common rpm-repo !
p.s.s.s Newsletter like Heise and Gulli if you whant create a report please mailing Joerg too for more informations.

:whistle:

p.s.s.s.s Per, if you have nomore the mandrivamail, so tell it us :)

best regards
Blacky

Woodguy2

Postby Woodguy2 » 10 Apr 2013, 16:47

Oh boy, yet another fork. :(
I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.

Blackcrack

Postby Blackcrack » 10 Apr 2013, 17:34

Woodguy2 wrote:Oh boy, yet another fork. :(

humm the best alive.. Joerg want build up the core with Gentoo stable to rpm's and hold
it strictly to the common standard maybe rpm but strictly common standard .

Both M.... Distries be with the old crab from Mandriva..(sorry but's true) , you see,
with broken header who you have troubles to cook by self kernels
or build by self rpms.. that was not wanted at Mandriva in the past.. you see..

therewith it is a need to create a real clean core and corefiles
to allow then that one which can itself build kernels and clean rpm-files.

but at last mus hold at all on the common standard.. this is the purpose
therefore, it is necessary that a new Mandrake must be built from the ground up.

for have the best one .. you see :mrgreen:

NO CRAP ANYMORRREEE :S
only nice symphony :boohoo:

best regards
Blacky

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 10 Apr 2013, 19:02

Unity used to be a good tool for building spinoffs. I am not sure if they have got something working again with ABF.
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.

AleQ

Postby AleQ » 11 Apr 2013, 01:23

I've done my job from now things will be different, soon will remember my name!

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 11 Apr 2013, 09:06

There are lots of people that want to make a name on Mandriva. And lots of people that claim an ownership over Mandriva one way or another. I sure would like to see everybody working on the same distro and once there is actually something to claim the fighting can start.
That is why the exclusion of people is the absolutely wrong thing to do. I am sure there can be successful spinoffs. Like PCLOS has been and that was pretty much by one man too.

But all parties would gain if this distro was worked on until it was perfect and then fork it - for maybe not having the right name. That name is very secondary compared to a working distro IMO.

jkerr82508
Guru-Berserk

Postby jkerr82508 » 11 Apr 2013, 10:16

I've been following some of the discussions on the various distros' mailing lists and IRC channels, and the almost visceral hatred that certain people seem to have for one another makes one despair for the future of the entire Mandriva family. All of the members of that family are struggling to survive, and the inability of those influential participants, in each of the distros, to communicate civilly, never mind co-operate productively, is likely only to result in failure for them all. They are a bit like the proverbial ferrets in a sack.

I feel sorry for those dedicated people, in each of the branches of the family, who just want to produce a distro to be proud of. I'm surprised that so many of them choose to continue to be involved.

It seems to me that the Mandriva family is a bit like some religions, where the various sects keep sub-dividing over arguments that to outsiders are incomprehensible. Perhaps all human activity is like that.

Jim

Blackcrack

Postby Blackcrack » 11 Apr 2013, 10:19

AleQ, i will let me surprise :) maybe the same common way.. want be funny if it is :) Together with MIB :) how ever *bg* :)

edit:

Blackcrack wrote:joerg tells me ever, i should name him, Uncle Joerg and see him more as Communityworker
and his goal is common for have a work and fun like i have see and
not to carve his name in stone ... this do you see wrong Viking60 ;)
it is more important to come to a common standart at last and another has no useful in his opinion
and in this sense i see the same way ! nothing else..

it is bad if be exploited honesty and trust.. i mean there with
i mean therewith , joerg has a lot of promise, in the end he hates rpm

i have now wrote with him in an month 250 Mails ..
and at last had he told me / and at end, had he told me,
how good gentoo it is and i shold test it and so.. 8)

i should the %%§%$ rpm stuff forget and create a own
Gentoo Desktopsystem 8) ungh ?? hello ???

it is for me like blasphemy and betrayal !

sorry for that what i did told every..

i am make a mistake, but I confess here in the public sphere and Forum

Sorry for that I followed the wrong person

Sorry for that

Best Regards
Blacky
Last edited by Blackcrack on 14 Apr 2013, 16:50, edited 1 time in total.

jofazepa

Postby jofazepa » 11 Apr 2013, 12:01

rolf wrote: The point is, one of the hardest working volunteers since last June resigned because of this disruption, opposition to the association, and slanderous attacks. I've a right to be angry about such baseless destruction of community.

Hi rolf and guys/gals

I will pop in this discussion, but before going further I will just like to say that things are more complicated to solve but also quite simple to understand.

rolf is referring to me as the "one of left". It's true I left, the conditions to keep on working was close to zero. We were working hard to build an image to the association. Association is the Legal entity created to manage and develop the formally known Mandriva Linux. It was a hard work to build the association and create her as free entity not dependent of no one, but that institution also needed to have certain rules regarding the 1901 French Law, the conditions the receive special trademark from Mandriva SA and be able to interact with other institutions like the sponsors.

The process of creation was quite open, if you look at the founder members list you will see the ones that worked, more or less, in the building of the association. Per was one of them, I (was other). I, and all the others, worked very hard those days to build the statutes, the governance system, and so on. the main objective was to create an Organization that could create an environment open and good for all contributors and also for sponsors and simple users. We created several figures like the Community User Representative, a person that represents the common user in the council, and opened the council to external consultants from the linux and foss ecosystem. This was all written down and is public.

On those days we agreed to have a system that recognized merit, merit should be recognized in the "membership", were could be member the ones that have recognized merit. Members were also the ones that will form the teams and council, and so lead the Association.

Some of the people involved never cared to much with this things, other really worked on it, the heterogeneous skills of all helped allot, as well as the experience of some people already involved in other association, companies.

OpenMandriva Assocaition is a complete legitimate, by law and by Mandriva SA entity to run and manage the Linux Distribution.

Of course that problems came, it's normal in any association, where is power there is problems. To make it simple the problem was essentially that the Linux Project Leadership would not accept that OMA, in the form of it's council, decided over the Distro. With statements like: "you can decide whatever you want, I will always have the final word and decide". This lead to me leaving. I don't believe in merit based autocracies, but in merit based organization with most democratic decisions (but thats other issue).

So at some point was impossible to decide anything, like artwork or name, because all of that was good if they were "black".

The name issue: when the OMA was being put up was generally accepted by all founders (with some exceptions) that when things are up and running the OMA members should in General Assembly decide two things: 1. Do you want the distro to be named OpenMandriva; 2. If not what name should it be?

To do this OMA put up a list of names and contributions in the wiki, it is still there. But no decision was taken so far because of what happened. Like I said it's not so easy, and OMA people try to do things in a inclusive way not putting no one out, and that takes time (when I was out somethings happened, some I agree other i completely disagree).

Regarding OpenMandriva name: that name is just for the Association right now. We started a competition called Get a Face! to find a logo for the association, an image that will be voted by community (open to all) and that in the end will define the OMA image and brand. Of course that the OMa image should be used in a OMA Project. This don't mean substituting all the work done till then bun incorporating some elements, like OpenMandriva Association new logo in a wallpapers, for example. People should understand that the distro is a OMA Project... This led to other problems regarding the same, because the answer was like this "I will not add anything I don't like or disagree".

Moving forward, In FOSDEM meeting in Brussels was decided that the first release of the distro will have no name for now (i don't agree with it but was a decision taken by the council and I respect it) and should be knowed as the "Release from OpenMandriva Association". At a point this was not accepted, and the name was substituted, without notice, to be Moondrake, an the same neverending talk restarted, like "this is the only possible name", etc... and "no one in OMA has the right to decide the name".

Originally we defended that Members of OMA (this means devs, people with merit) will choose the name, and a method, now I really don't know how it is. I will know in the future.

I don't want to buy any war, this is just a simple view, you know the other views. I'm in favor of collaboration and I believe that are a lack of Good Will and Creativity in the process - I admit and assume all my faults and errors.

To notice is that I was invited back, some people in the council accepted me back, and so, I'm back. And started working again in Communication, branding and all.

So wait for the next news on the choice of the OMA logo (I guarantee that it will be a logo that allows to have a distro with a different name and the same image) but the decision is not yet taken - we are still on analysis and trying to produce a good output based on the popular voting and that complies with this - not stick to OpenMandriva name, like using OM as logo...

the best o all. we are doing our best, but with this bottlenecks things move slower.

any question mail me to jofazepa@gmail.com (I don't have much time to travel in foruns)

and keep the mind open, because open source could be open but not necessarily fair, and I prefer Fair Software.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 11 Apr 2013, 14:11

First of all Welcome jofazepa :greetings

And thank you for confusing us at yet a higher level. We greatly appreciate the information! :s I will try to form some questions later on...
Thank you for your work on the distro so far and I am glad to hear that you are back.

Regarding blackys request of me translating the equivalent of his old testament I will feel a bit free in my translation.
Basically he was sick of a process that that he tried to get involved in an felt that this was made difficult or impossible. He heavily criticizes the meetings behind "closed doors" without community involvement.
He also thinks Mandriva was developed in the wrong direction,
Announcing to the public is not the same as involving the public if I understand him correctly.
The shitty actions of Mandriva and Openmandriva (above all from Kate and Rafa and from that strange council) has made me sick, and then when Rafa attacked me to be a time limited member – the whole thing smelled fishy to me, because ehh everbody can be a member – this was heavily advertized.

Join the mailing list and then you are a member but you also need to be present at the meetings.
I pointed this out and then Rafa stated that «many think you are a troublemaker and they do not want you on the council. PERSONALLY I would like to have you there so I asked Joao and Rugyada about their opinion and ........
So I thought oookayyy If they do not want me....

After I had joined the mailinglist again it went on. Per and Rafa then called Wobo again...ah great I found that out when reading it here in this forum. Wobo who obviously has failled at Mageia.......

It looks like Per did not see that and obviously Rafa did not because the forum is in the German language – super - and then it went on and eventually I was banned by Kate for fighting with Wobo. I asked here: hey I fina that to be unfair – I have not said anything...:confused
She replied no this is for the prior history....I thought what?????!!! banned for what has been – afterwords?? Not as a result of a direct action??
Aha two can also do everything. Super – a pure demonstration of power! Shut your mouth on the accounts of Wobo or you are out of here.

I though great! What is yet to come.

Arvi Pingus connected me to Joerg and I looked at his mail address DaJudge61...hey that fits ..great!
We had close contact and exchanged 5-7 mails a day we were chacking eachouther out if we both were hardcore Mandrakers.

So far everything is okay and then that thing with Per and his ISO happened and Kate kept on playing the seretary; she could not let and allow......It is agreed upon that we have agreed on nothing.... you may have noticed what happened there.
One says something the other says something else.

The I brought Joerg into play who was willing to play the Mandrake judge in a way that I could feel and like lol.
He demanded an answer within 48 hours or else he would build something of his own and thus gave a real slap in the face of Kate and the «Council.»....

This is how it all happened and I do not want to hide it or shut up about it – all the shit that happened there

And here it goes on about a new distro and a lot of repeating. at which point I gave up translating....
It is hard since Blacky is obviously not a native German speaker either.

He has some views about people participating there (wobo) that are mostly negative and does also provide some medical diagnosis for them. Please do not give people diagnosis Blacky - you may say what you want about the actions but we do not want the personal diagnosis whether it is "insane" or "narcissist". :hand:
Feel free to disagree but try to kick the ball not the person.

@Jkerr
I agree +1 Some pragmatism is called for.

Blackcrack

Postby Blackcrack » 11 Apr 2013, 15:37

Hi Poples :) ,
hola João :)

how you are treated and get information become about things, it is other like it is ..
we all whant build up our old Mandrake/mandriva/Openmandriva ... okey, i should
not judge about other, but if like is so it is, as it was already confirmed to me on the other side ...
how ever...
João, i like you and if comes things who be not good for OM so be a other "land" a homeland for you !

@Viking60: no, let it.. i delete it..
nee lass es..

and at last , trust me.. my want , it is not .. realy not bad..
only to have a correckt OpenMandriva or a correckt Mandrake.

best regards
Blacky
Last edited by Blackcrack on 14 Apr 2013, 16:29, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “The Mandriva family”