OpenMandriva

Well it is a family: Mandriva Mageia ROSA Unity PCLOS. Brothers and sisters living together in perfect harmony - so it deserved som space of its own.

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

viking60
Über-Berserk

Re: OpenMandriva

Postby viking60 » 04 Aug 2013, 01:20

I noticed rolf did express his views in the usual diplomatic terms. He wants to exclude POK - I disagreed with him on that, because you are right; everybody needs to start working on the distro.
This blame game is ridiculous.
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 04 Aug 2013, 05:05

Yeah, it really is. The thing about it is, it's not exactly private. It tarnishes OpenMandriva's erm, what's the word, "reputation", which brings down public confidence in them as an org and distro both to almost null.

I disagreed with rolf on the same. IMO his problem - if he can't see the forest for the trees, then oh well. It's not helping taking slams on anyone in this - it only adds fuel to the fire (and he did take too many slamming liberties, IMO, with POK).

I'm beyond caring. The reputation for heated arguments, the lack of an ability for people to work together to create a distro has put me off totally, and I probably won't be trying OpenMandriva at all now, unfortunately. I think since Mandriva itself, I've gotten much more used to people who work on solid distros, who keep internal strife as internal, and get the job done regardless of arguments and strife, pushing out stable distros.

This shit here, it ain't-a-gonna work. Period.

Again, I invite them all to prove me wrong, but the damage in reputation has already been done in mine and many other's eyes, and after all the public strife, it's too late to say "well, we'll make it good now." It just won't work.

I said from the beginning when Mandriva died, they should've just died, and we all would have had fond memories of the distro and people both, left with warm hearts. As it is, they've all run it into the ground and turned it to shite since. They've left absolutely no room for anyone to have any respect for any of them, and I know I speak for quite a few when I say that. There is no dignity in this warmongering, arguing, and bitching. I said it needed peace earlier in this thread, and still maintain that I was right.

Next time boys 'n girls, before you pick up a distro that's died, let it be dead for a while before your attitudes (i.e. "blame games", accusations of "desire to control", paranoia, etc.) destroy it, please? And chill your fookin' firey anger before you point fingers at others, look in the damn mirror. Regardless of what you think, you're well beyond what people would call "passion for a distro". Thanks.

Helluva way to honor a great distro, boys 'n girls. Helluva way to do it. Go back to school now, and learn how to really do it. Take some communications, take some business management, take some logic/reasoning classes, take some software engineering. You need it.
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 04 Aug 2013, 12:12

I have been curious regarding what could come out of this. But I have had a real hard time telling OpenMandriva apart from Rosa.
If you download Rosa and change the wallpaper you have a fully functional Mandriva. Maybe you are right . they can all chip in on Rosa instead. :confused

There are devs working on both Mandriva and Mageia so they might draw some valuable experience out of this that can be used in Mageia.
Mageia has a conservative approach to things but I think I have heard that they will be going for the ABF (Rosa) build system.

A part of the problem is that this "association" seems to want to dictate everything even in areas they are not particularly qualified.

They organize and organize and organize and set rules and enforce them - make new rules etc etc. As a result you get more talk and less coding.

They moderate Per Øyinds contributions to the cooker list - apparently because of his undiplomatic style - (only matched by rolf :mrgreen: ) and at the same time they take the opportunity to describe him in less flattering terms - every response he might have to that will be "moderated".
That is kind of Soviet tactics - and understandably frustrating.

I think i will give up on this distro now too. I have translated and written a lot of Wikis for the good old Mandriva so it was kind of my baby too.

But this has become a kindergarten.

So with this death declaration it is time to close this thread. It is to long anyway.
If you have any news or points to make - you can simply start a new thread.
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

Return to “The Mandriva family”