OpenMandriva

Well it is a family: Mandriva Mageia ROSA Unity PCLOS. Brothers and sisters living together in perfect harmony - so it deserved som space of its own.

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

viking60
Über-Berserk

Re: OpenMandriva

Postby viking60 » 12 Apr 2013, 10:39

I tried to install the metapackage task-lamp-php to install a LAMP server.
It fails due to lack of the file:

Code: Select all

Could not download  apache-mod_env-2.4.3-1-mdv2013.0.x86_64.rpm
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 13 Apr 2013, 21:23

Some definitions from the Association here
Everybody can join OMA
They have decided to have no name for the distro in its cooker state.
Cooker is owned by OMA",but contribution is open" (I am not sure I get that :confused - The important thing is who is working on it)

I miss the names behind all those functions and comities. I am sure they are listed somewhere else....
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.

Blackcrack

Postby Blackcrack » 14 Apr 2013, 17:08

yes, i miss it too .. the listings, this was an point who had let me digress from ..
the doubt where do what , who it is in the Consil, who it is on the Distriebution,
who it is the developer /s .. the choose of the member.. and in my case ..
not a fullmember why selection .. Memberlist .. Supporter .. and so on ..

how ever, i have make mistakes and have trust a wrong person.. to mutch..
like you see on a edit writing in the past .

Sorry again.. how every, it is good to be , speak about trubles and fault for maybe make it better..

and again, i stay fully behind Openmandriva, not behind Redhat, not behind Gentoo or what ever ..

then mandrake has worked for me, mandriva was okay so far too ..
but i never use an other distro , there for i stay behind the Distriebution Openmandriva.

best regards
Blacky

and again, sorry for the failure occurs !
was with the best will .. :confused

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 14 Apr 2013, 21:05

:s Sure I think there are a lot of people with good intentions on every side. I can't help getting the feeling that the post is a bit like when a dog marks his pole though.
... And a hint of OMA :-D

And regarding the name may I suggest the Prince approach:
"The Distro formerly called Mandriva" To become an OpenSource Mandriva in peoples mind it needs to exist - As it is; the "title" is held by Mageia and Rosa.
Edit:
And I can't log in over there anymore.

Blackcrack

Postby Blackcrack » 15 Apr 2013, 06:48

HI Viking60,

This is now happening in the fi... no,
this is been the first case like so.. behind 18 Jears internet
this joerg have not hear the shoot..
in my opinion.. and i have trust him.. however was only one month ..
but the damage is now done already .. and now i be moderated on
the om-general mailinglist and i dont know like it's goes furter..
but i try to hold all normal.. for luck -i- have not make a big truble
in the mailinglist behind like fellow Joerg..
but Viking60 you have see the mail.. :\

you login: take you reged mailadress from last forum,
Ask for a new password and re-set you old password

best regards
Blacky

Original Mail :
-------- Original-Nachricht --------
Betreff: Re: Fwd: Your message to OM-General awaits moderator approval
Datum: Sun, 14 Apr 2013 21:04:34 +0200
Von: Joerg <joerg@mlc-core.de>
An: Blackcrack <blackcrack@blackysgate.de>

VERGISS ES !!!!!
das ganze Ding ist ein Fake !!!
100% Mandriva steckt dahinter...

von wegen freie... Mandriva will das Ihr denen ein Sys baut

Beide Mittelfinger hoch !!!

und tschüß

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 15 Apr 2013, 10:28

jkerr82508 wrote:I've been following some of the discussions on the various distros' mailing lists and IRC channels, and the almost visceral hatred that certain people seem to have for one another makes one despair for the future of the entire Mandriva family. All of the members of that family are struggling to survive, and the inability of those influential participants, in each of the distros, to communicate civilly, never mind co-operate productively, is likely only to result in failure for them all. They are a bit like the proverbial ferrets in a sack.

I feel sorry for those dedicated people, in each of the branches of the family, who just want to produce a distro to be proud of. I'm surprised that so many of them choose to continue to be involved.

It seems to me that the Mandriva family is a bit like some religions, where the various sects keep sub-dividing over arguments that to outsiders are incomprehensible. Perhaps all human activity is like that.

Jim

100% agreed, and is what I was saying all along. A house divided against itself.

Now, two things I'm confused on:

Just WHY does the distro have to have a different name from the association? Doesn't that in itself create division?

Who's fork is this going to be? If not Per's, then who's?

If not Per's, then where will he stand with Rosa, and others he has to answer to? Did he do all that work for nothing? If so, then that's total shite, IMO. I suppose he and Rosa could sell it all to another company and make a mint. If so, then go for it. I'd run that on my machine, because I would know it didn't come from blood, guts, and war.
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

Woodguy2

Postby Woodguy2 » 15 Apr 2013, 14:40

dedanna1029 wrote:

Just WHY does the distro have to have a different name from the association? Doesn't that in itself create division?

If not Per's, then where will he stand with Rosa, and others he has to answer to? Did he do all that work for nothing? If so, then that's total shite, IMO. I suppose he and Rosa could sell it all to another company and make a mint. If so, then go for it. I'd run that on my machine, because I would know it didn't come from blood, guts, and war.

Have to agree on the name issue. I see no problem with the distro being named OpenMandriva. But then I am not fully informed on all the conditions set forth by Mandriva SA regarding creation of the association, either.

As for who's "fork" it's going to be.. the association is taking over development of the "Mandriva" distro. As such is it really a fork? I think not.

Who does it belong to? The association I would think. If the association has Rosa as a majority owner, I suppose they could sell it. Not sure it has much worth now except the infrastructure. And, we already have a "Mint"! I think the whole idea of having an association was not having an individual "own" or control the distro. Even POK! And that is a good thing. True, where more than 1 person is involved, there will always be disagreement, but ripping the association to shreds in forums doesn't help. Kinda reminds me of the last couple years of the Mandriva forum... didn't help then, won't help now.
I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 16 Apr 2013, 02:41

No. I'm talking code, strictly.
Will they use Oyvind's, which is already almost done, or do they want another?

See, this is what I mean. They can't even get their sh!t together on wtf they're going to do, and they expect people to run "whatever" distro that "whomever is writing" or "has already written"? What's it going to be, people?

Come on, if they can't even be clear on that, then they are lost.
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

proyvind

Postby proyvind » 16 Apr 2013, 08:42

Woodguy2 wrote:
dedanna1029 wrote:

Have to agree on the name issue. I see no problem with the distro being named OpenMandriva. But then I am not fully informed on all the conditions set forth by Mandriva SA regarding creation of the association, either.

As for who's "fork" it's going to be.. the association is taking over development of the "Mandriva" distro. As such is it really a fork? I think not.

Who does it belong to? The association I would think. If the association has Rosa as a majority owner, I suppose they could sell it. Not sure it has much worth now except the infrastructure. And, we already have a "Mint"! I think the whole idea of having an association was not having an individual "own" or control the distro.

What? Totally NO WAY! The idea of the association is for it to support the project, and since this is a community project, it simply doesn't own it, nor does ROSA own the association either for that matter either.
So with this, those who does the actual work on the distribution, gets to do this properly without corporate soap operas etc. getting in the way nor kill it.

The association is intended to be an independent entity, which while supports the project with infrastructure etc., does not own nor govern the project.
'If the association were to do so, then it would be no better oiff than the company and it's troubles over the years, it would actually be even worse;
they have no previous involvement in the distribution, no proper leadership or businiss competence nor experience which you'd at least would expect for the management of a company to have.

There is no sane reasons for that any association related group to have any greater say in matter they're neither involved in nor even cares about to conduct any discussions and decission making outside of it.

Personally I am what's left from a staff of >30 developers who worked full time on the distribution for the previous release, where *every* responsibility beyond purely packaging has been left for me to take on, which is a situation that's been rather crappy for what all the crap and fsckups that's been going.
If I hadn't stuck around and taken some initiative ad responsibility that noonne else did, the project would've been long dead by now, ad even despite that I've repeatedly asked people from associatio to take responsibility for tasks and try help supporting, they've never done a single thing of it so far.
You might get the idea of why I am not so pleased with people who's never even contributed or been of any help to the distribution whatsoever,now expecting to get to get special privilegies, with the idea of that they're now my boss...

If people are unable to see what's wrong with this, then I really dunno what to say.. :|

proyvind

Postby proyvind » 16 Apr 2013, 08:57

dedanna1029 wrote:
jkerr82508 wrote:I've been following some of the discussions on the various distros' mailing lists and IRC channels, and the almost visceral hatred that certain people seem to have for one another makes one despair for the future of the entire Mandriva family. All of the members of that family are struggling to survive, and the inability of those influential participants, in each of the distros, to communicate civilly, never mind co-operate productively, is likely only to result in failure for them all. They are a bit like the proverbial ferrets in a sack.

I feel sorry for those dedicated people, in each of the branches of the family, who just want to produce a distro to be proud of. I'm surprised that so many of them choose to continue to be involved.

It seems to me that the Mandriva family is a bit like some religions, where the various sects keep sub-dividing over arguments that to outsiders are incomprehensible. Perhaps all human activity is like that.

Jim

100% agreed, and is what I was saying all along. A house divided against itself.

We cannot use the "OpenMandriva" name because this is a name that we need to license to use and only use in this manner..
Ie. if you have any artwork with this name on it, we will simply not be able to do modify it freely.
It should be quite clear and obvious that there must be some issues with licensing a non-free name for use with free software, no? ;)

There's also several other issues related to it as well, which has tainted it sufficiently for the use of it to harm our credibility...
Mandriva has been successfully devoured through a hostile takeover since long time already that pretty much succeeded at fscing thigs up so considerably that the project was as good as dead for a period.. Similarly happens now again, only directed at the project, with not only corporate, but ow also community businiss of strangers trying to cease control as well..

Not cool. :(

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 16 Apr 2013, 09:58

proyvind wrote:We cannot use the "OpenMandriva" name because this is a name that we need to license to use and only use in this manner..
Ie. if you have any artwork with this name on it, we will simply not be able to do modify it freely.
It should be quite clear and obvious that there must be some issues with licensing a non-free name for use with free software, no? ;)

Good point!

But the very existence of the Association is mostly tied to the name -If it does not contain Mandriva then the greatest reason for its existence is gone - I think.
There is another aspect that I find important though and that is that the Association gives Mandriva an European identity which is important regarding codecs and stupid foreign patent claims.
Even if France is the worst country in Europe with its 3 strike privacy invading HADOPI law So a German identity would have been better. At least their constitutional court know how to protect privacy.

...And I do agree that the best thing for "The distro formerly known as Mandriva" would have been if Mandriva SA actually had made a ton of money.
In the present situation it seems rather counter productive that everybody is claiming the ownership of .... nothing.
So we need all good hands in cooker - including yours of course.

Woodguy2

Postby Woodguy2 » 16 Apr 2013, 13:56

proyvind wrote:
What? Totally NO WAY! The idea of the association is for it to support the project, and since this is a community project, it simply doesn't own it, nor does ROSA own the association either for that matter either.
So with this, those who does the actual work on the distribution, gets to do this properly without corporate soap operas etc. getting in the way nor kill it.

The association is intended to be an independent entity, which while supports the project with infrastructure etc., does not own nor govern the project.
'If the association were to do so, then it would be no better oiff than the company and it's troubles over the years, it would actually be even worse;
they have no previous involvement in the distribution, no proper leadership or businiss competence nor experience which you'd at least would expect for the management of a company to have.

There is no sane reasons for that any association related group to have any greater say in matter they're neither involved in nor even cares about to conduct any discussions and decission making outside of it.

Personally I am what's left from a staff of >30 developers who worked full time on the distribution for the previous release, where *every* responsibility beyond purely packaging has been left for me to take on, which is a situation that's been rather crappy for what all the crap and fsckups that's been going.
If I hadn't stuck around and taken some initiative ad responsibility that noonne else did, the project would've been long dead by now, ad even despite that I've repeatedly asked people from associatio to take responsibility for tasks and try help supporting, they've never done a single thing of it so far.
You might get the idea of why I am not so pleased with people who's never even contributed or been of any help to the distribution whatsoever,now expecting to get to get special privilegies, with the idea of that they're now my boss...

If people are unable to see what's wrong with this, then I really dunno what to say.. :|

So, what it boils down to, it is your distro, Per, and the association is only there to provide you with toys to play with. Nice deal if you can find one, I suppose. Under that premise, yes, I see a BIG problem using the OpenMandriva name for the distro. I also see a big problem with getting much community support for it. Or much financial support. But hey, you obviously know what's best. I supported Mandriva with Powerpak subscriptions for years, but no way will I support this!

If you are unable to see what's wrong with this, then I really don't know what to say...
I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.

Return to “The Mandriva family”