Windows Update Code 80070643

Well you requested it, so you better be funny!

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

Snorkasaurus
Berserk

Windows Update Code 80070643

Postby Snorkasaurus » 14 Aug 2014, 00:03

So my sister sent me her Vista laptop because it was slow and generally painful to use. Of course I did the same things that anyone else would do... including trying to complete the install of that one update that just wouldn't go away. It is an update for MS Office and it just keeps failing and then saying that it needs to be installed again. I do a little digital recon and find this awesome post by a guy named ADDRAM who seems to think that installing every known version of .NET is the way to go.

I laughed so hard I think I pooped a little.
S.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Re: Windows Update Code 80070643

Postby viking60 » 14 Aug 2014, 11:09

Oh boy -that seems a little over the top. In general they do warn that nobody should use a suggestion recommended for others since it may be very computer specific.
So that leaves the question; what do they need a forum for, when your are strongly warned against using the tips given there? :confused

It sure looks that there is clearly something wrong with that MS Office update - so the ball is on Microsoft's half now; they need to do something about it.

May I suggest LibreOffice?

It has (Document foundation) members like AMD, Google, Red Hat, SUSE, Intel and many more so it is well taken care of.
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

Snorkasaurus
Berserk

Postby Snorkasaurus » 14 Aug 2014, 14:30

Hey v60... I have tried a few "office suites" over the years and don't like any of them. I like LibreOffice's politics the best, but it still wants Java and it is just as much of a pig on resources as the others. I personally use MS Office 2003 when I have to. With a patch it can read/write the current file formats, but that probably won't last forever. In any case, this is my sister's laptop and like many people she subscribes to the crazy notion that Microsoft products are somehow better (and probably also the notion that they are honest folks). :-(

I still find it pretty amusing though that a guy named ADDRAM is suggesting to load up every version of .NET. :-)

S.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 14 Aug 2014, 17:31

Yes the name is no wonder with that attitude :-D
I have used MS office for years but I don't miss anything in Libreoffice and that goes pretty much for my complex spreadsheets too.

Microsoft Office is not bad but they almost have to claim that they are better than a free product.

Strangely enough there is a tendency to compare price with quality. High price = high quality and low price...etc. ergo free must be utter crap according to that.

The solution is to make Libreoffice expensive :idea: That would take care of it :-D
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

Snorkasaurus
Berserk

Postby Snorkasaurus » 14 Aug 2014, 17:46

viking60 wrote:Strangely enough there is a tendency to compare price with quality. High price = high quality and low price...etc. ergo free must be utter crap according to that.
That just baffles the hell out of me. Some screwy by-product of western economics I guess. My father used to do some work for a local "real estate developer" a while back who was trying to sell condos in what was essentially slums... they were not selling at all so he put a fancy new name on the building, raised the price a whole bunch, and they sold like hotcakes. *shakes head*

S.

R_Head
Berserk

Postby R_Head » 14 Aug 2014, 20:14

Back in the early 80s my dad had some top of the line padlocks. They were excepensive and nobody wanted them. So he jacked the price like 5 fold and sold them all.

Is just about high end products are for high end people.

Same with the Apple products, charge an insane amount of money for gullible people.

Return to “Humor”