A good ham radio

Everything about it! Heard the news? What! is Ubuntu bankrupt? Has Mandriva started marketing? Have you taken a sky diving course?
We just need to know! No flaming! And we hate spammers -Get it?

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

Davidsherer321

A good ham radio

Postby Davidsherer321 » 02 Jun 2021, 12:50

For many years I have wanted to get into ham radios but now I finally plan on doing it. I do not have too high of a budget but I want to be able to play around a bit. Ultimately my goal is to contact HF frequencies as well as use CW on a regular basis. However, I plan on only starting out with the Technicians License here in the USA, so maybe HF is not a necessary specification. Anything under $100 should do for me. Thanks!

R_Head
Berserk

Re: A good ham radio

Postby R_Head » 04 Jun 2021, 02:32

I got me some Baofeng UV-5RMK4 radios, handheld and programable with Linux CHIRP application. They have about 4 mile range with a Nagoya NA-701C tuned to 155/455MHz Dual Band.

gnuuser
Berserk

Postby gnuuser » 09 Jun 2021, 01:05

there are also numerous kits for qrp hf radios you can build but bear in mind antenna construction and matching is crucial to performance.
4sqrp group has some neat kits and are super easy to build.
here is there site:
http://www.4sqrp.com/index.php
I kit out the ozark patrol receiver and provide some instruction on it.
registered Linux user number 505431
Amateur radio call sign KC3TEC
miracle (mere-ack-ull) :
the aspiration of the indigent, the expectation of the indolent, and the inspiration of the ignorant.

Im so old even dirt was my apprentice!

gnuuser
Berserk

Postby gnuuser » 30 Oct 2021, 03:22

Shaynesherman wrote:Ham seems a lot more complicated than it needs to be. Which is why so many preppers have questions about whether they need to get a license (yes, you should), signal ranges, comparisons to CB/FRS/MURS, and so on.

actually the ham radio/ Amateur radio is not just about the radios and the ability to use them But to learn about radio communication and improve ones knowledge in electronics, radio propagation and communications skills in general.
Im still waiting on the opportunity to take the test but I am a skilled electrician and electronics tech/ instructor!
believe me when it comes to radio communication theory there is a heck of a lot of difference in thinking as what is required for an electrician trade.

as an example as an electrician dealing with low, medium, and high voltage its important to avoid a dead short circuit because a fire can result.
but when dealing with millivolt and microvolt levels its actually a dead short for minimal time frames that produces the electromagnetic wave that is a radio signal.
and when you realize that it's one of those homer simpson moments where you slap yourself in the head :Doh:

its also about exploring what you can learn about your equipment and yourself in general.
miracle (mere-ack-ull) :
the aspiration of the indigent, the expectation of the indolent, and the inspiration of the ignorant.

gnuuser
Berserk

Postby gnuuser » 15 Dec 2021, 04:03

Got my tech now studying for general and extra.
Will also be testing for ve and instructor.
Call sign is KC3TEC
miracle (mere-ack-ull) :

gnuuser
Berserk

Postby gnuuser » 12 Apr 2022, 15:14

Recently I acquired a splinter ll kit and the matchstick tuner ( both now retired and no longer available)
40 meter kit.
Simple build and an astonishing good radio.
I'm very impressed with it.
Dummyload test with an attenuator on another radio across the room the splinter transmitted a very strong and chirp free signal,
This is a half watt radio!
I can't wait to test it on an outing!
miracle (mere-ack-ull) :

gnuuser
Berserk

Postby gnuuser » 08 May 2022, 23:28

Passed general test about 2 weeks ago.
Aced the test in 7 minutes. Now studying for extra and VE.
miracle (mere-ack-ull) :

gnuuser
Berserk

Postby gnuuser » 17 Jun 2022, 00:35

My good friend and Elmer gave me a heck of a deal on an icom ic208 dual band include an antenna, dummy load, and a spare radio to work on.
Very low price!
I also may have more gear coming later.
miracle (mere-ack-ull) :

Return to “The Lounge”