Finally!

Everything about it! Heard the news? What! is Ubuntu bankrupt? Has Mandriva started marketing? Have you taken a sky diving course?
We just need to know! No flaming! And we hate spammers -Get it?

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Finally!

Postby dedanna1029 » 11 Dec 2019, 19:05

Mom's Windows 7 is going out on Jan. 15, so I have just installed her a dual-boot with Linux Mint 19.2!
Doing updates now, will move on with needed packages in a bit.
She finally took the plunge! :)
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Re: Finally!

Postby dedanna1029 » 12 Dec 2019, 21:47

I have worked ever since on bugs. There are too many of them in Mint for it to be useful to Mom. I'm debating another distribution; however, some of the bugs are upstream, left for ages to be fixed, and are still open after quite some time.
Not sure what to do now.

LibreOffice doesn't have a way to switch languages (Mom needs Japanese Kanji), so I've tried running MS Office off her c:\ drive, and I get "IOPL not enabled." Ran the recommended fixes for that online, none worked. Stellarium segfaults on load with:

Code: Select all

jean@jean-ThinkPad-T410:~$ stellarium
qt5ct: using qt5ct plugin
 -------------------------------------------------------
[ This is Stellarium 0.18.0 - http://www.stellarium.org ]
[ Copyright (C) 2000-2018 Fabien Chereau et al.         ]
 -------------------------------------------------------
Writing log file to: "/home/jean/.stellarium/log.txt"
File search paths:
  0 .  "/home/jean/.stellarium"
  1 .  "/usr/share/stellarium"
Config file is:  "/home/jean/.stellarium/config.ini"
Default surface format:  QSurfaceFormat(version 2.0, options QFlags<QSurfaceFormat::FormatOption>(), depthBufferSize -1, redBufferSize -1, greenBufferSize -1, blueBufferSize -1, alphaBufferSize -1, stencilBufferSize -1, samples -1, swapBehavior QSurfaceFormat::SwapBehavior(DefaultSwapBehavior), swapInterval 1, profile  QSurfaceFormat::OpenGLContextProfile(NoProfile))
Desired surface format:  QSurfaceFormat(version 2.1, options QFlags<QSurfaceFormat::FormatOption>(), depthBufferSize 24, redBufferSize 8, greenBufferSize 8, blueBufferSize 8, alphaBufferSize 8, stencilBufferSize 8, samples -1, swapBehavior QSurfaceFormat::SwapBehavior(DefaultSwapBehavior), swapInterval 1, profile  QSurfaceFormat::OpenGLContextProfile(NoProfile))
StelGLWidget constructor
StelGraphicsScene constructor
initializeGL
OpenGL supported version:  "2.1 Mesa 19.0.8"
Current Format:  QSurfaceFormat(version 2.1, options QFlags<QSurfaceFormat::FormatOption>(DeprecatedFunctions), depthBufferSize 24, redBufferSize 8, greenBufferSize 8, blueBufferSize 8, alphaBufferSize 8, stencilBufferSize 8, samples 0, swapBehavior QSurfaceFormat::SwapBehavior(DefaultSwapBehavior), swapInterval 1, profile  QSurfaceFormat::OpenGLContextProfile(NoProfile))
StelMainView::init
Detected: OpenGL "2.1"
Driver version string: "2.1 Mesa 19.0.8"
GL vendor is "Intel Open Source Technology Center"
GL renderer is "Mesa DRI Intel(R) Ironlake Mobile x86/MMX/SSE2"
GL Shading Language version is "1.20"
MESA Version Number detected:  19
Mesa version is fine, we should not see a graphics problem.
GLSL Version Number detected:  1.2
This is not enough: we need GLSL1.30 or later.
You should update graphics drivers, graphics hardware, or use the --mesa-mode option.
Else, please try to use an older version like 0.12.5, and try there with --safe-mode
You can try to run in an unsupported degraded mode by ignoring the warning and continuing.
But more than likely problems will persist.
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
jean@jean-ThinkPad-T410:~$

Oh! And the biggie, Chromium Browser doesn't work, doesn't load (crashes with an error re: sandbox.cc)

Code: Select all

jean@jean-ThinkPad-T410:~$ chromium-browser
Using PPAPI flash.
[21880:21880:1212/140748.453288:ERROR:sandbox_linux.cc(369)] InitializeSandbox() called with multiple threads in process gpu-process.

And there is NO Chrome browser for i386 architecture. I have searched everywhere for a resolution to this, nothing works.

There's other things as well. Repositories aren't working correctly, all kinds of stuff. I can't get down to working equivalents for the programs she uses.
I need to do something, just not sure what.
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.

R_Head
Berserk

Postby R_Head » 14 Dec 2019, 17:12

I use Mageia and my mom in law loved it. Turns out that all she need is a Web Browser and nothing more.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 16 Dec 2019, 19:52

My mom needs a lot more than that. You'd run into the same as I did if your mom needed more.
No gods, no masters.

R_Head
Berserk

Postby R_Head » 17 Dec 2019, 20:58

Yeah, mine mum in law is simple. I had her on Thunderbird until she figured how to use the web email service. That is 1 more thing to not to worry about. After her PC took a dive, I got her an Acer Chromebook. I know, a scroogle system, but they are cheap, light and at her age, privacy, in her opinion, is at the bottom of the barrel.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 31 Dec 2019, 20:27

Can the googlified apps on a Chromebook be uninstalled?

I can't get Opera browser going for her even - there isn't one for 32-bit any more.
No gods, no masters.

R_Head
Berserk

Postby R_Head » 01 Jan 2020, 02:20

Is like the doggone phones. Depend who sells the tablet and what BS they install on them cannot be removed. For what my mum in law needs it, is more than fine with the Chrome Browser. Have not tried to to push anything else beside all the factory stuff. My daughter has the same device because the school forces them to use Chrombooks. At least is way better than the Dept of Edu has to offer. All her things are online, so nothing else need to be installed.

Chromebooks are nothing more than an Android Tablet and/or Phone.

What I found that is a royal pain are printers. Sometimes they are east, hard or impossible to get them installed. Is a hit and a miss, however, now days, who uses a printer? I hardly do.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 01 Jan 2020, 22:00

Ah. So you can't uninstall them. Thanks. I won't be getting one then.
No gods, no masters.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 02 Jan 2020, 11:04

Chromebook is locked to Google's Android stuff for "Security reasons".
It can be set to "developer mode" which will enable all the Linux commands that Chromebook normally blocks. It will also enable you to install Ubuntu on it +1
This is done by entering the "recovery mode":
Esc+Refresh keys (there should be a dedicated refresh key in your Chromebook.
More here

It should also by possible to run any Linux app in Chromebook using Crostini (VM ware style).

If you are the Hardcore type you can dualboot chrome and Linux (Ferdora++) with chrx.
This will require a lot of space that you probably do not have on your chromebook anyway though :tux5:

The one to install would be GalliumOS
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

R_Head
Berserk

Postby R_Head » 02 Jan 2020, 14:59

Thanks Viking, have not researched any of it. Lately, I am so out of IT since I switched gears to Aerospace. The 787 Dreamliner got me pretty busy :mrgreen:

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 03 Jan 2020, 17:15

Thanks, but no thanks...
No gods, no masters.

Return to “The Lounge”