What are you reading right now?

Everything about it! Heard the news? What! is Ubuntu bankrupt? Has Mandriva started marketing? Have you taken a sky diving course?
We just need to know! No flaming! And we hate spammers -Get it?

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

What are you reading right now?

Postby dedanna1029 » 20 Jun 2019, 23:06

I thought I had started a reading thread way back when we started this forum, but am not finding it in a search. I hope you people like to read, and can make this thread come alive. I read books, articles, here and there newspapers (I'm not awfully supportive of online papers. Give me good ol' real printed papers), anything that looks interesting that I can get my hands on. It's good to read. Reading keeps our brains alive, helps prevent Alzheimer's, keeps us in tune with culture (including technology), among other things.

If you aren't reading anything book-wise right now, then throw us some books you have read. It might peak someone else's interest here.

Currently, I'm reading a viking60-type online article, A Norwegian City Wants To Abolish Time, and am re-reading my favorite Terry Pratchett book, "Wintersmith".

Have fun! Get reading!
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Re: What are you reading right now?

Postby dedanna1029 » 20 Jun 2019, 23:13

Oh yay. Now I find the old thread.

No matter. It's really old, and all you silly people saw fit to do in it was make fun. :naughty:

This time, please be a bit more serious! +1
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.

R_Head
Berserk

Postby R_Head » 21 Jun 2019, 14:40

Well, I just decided to read "The Art of War" by Sun Tzu, very short read and is a very interesting book that can be applied to anything.

The one that I am in now is "The Fruits of Graft" by Wayne Jett. A nice compendium of the Great Depresion and how FDR really screwed the Working Class in favor of the Banks. By creating and exending the problem and pushing deficit/Gov spending via the "New Deal". Very technical book if you want to understand the present.

The other that is on my queue is "War is a Racket" by Maj Gen Smedley Butler. Short read but I can vouch on what he said, seen it at 1st hand. Just browsed quickly through it, will be an ineteresting read.

I agree with Butler when I hear politicians and sorry arse civilians beating on the war drums.

"It can be smashed effectively only by taking the profit out of war. The only way to smash this racket is to conscript capital and industry and labour before the nation's manhood can be conscripted. […] Let the officers and the directors and the high-powered executives of our armament factories and our steel companies and our munitions makers and our ship-builders and our airplane builders and the manufacturers of all other things that provide profit in war time as well as the bankers and the speculators, be conscripted — to get $30 a month, the same wage as the lads in the trenches get."

And the one that just arrived the other day. Donald Jeffries's "Crimes and Cover-ups in American Politics: 1776-1963. Is a take at the what the "Loosing End" has to say. History that we are taught is written by the victors but hardly never ever the looser get the chance to speak. The US Civil war in the 1800s is not what you were told, Lincoln is more a made up legend and was actually an arsehole. How Wilson, FDR and Truman (all Dems) pushed the US into war with the aid of Pullitzer and Hearst.

The truth is a 3 edge sword. One side, the Other side and the Real truth.

The answer to all is on the history, the past, how we got were we at now. You will understand, notice how all make sense. I do not agree on what is going on but it does make sense, understanding is not approving. In short, we were slowly duped, boiled like frogs, on a slow simmer to give up all your rights, wealth and health to a "legalized" den of vipers.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 26 Jun 2019, 22:56

Appointment In Samarra by John O'Hara, a quick read but at the same time... wow. Lesson learned.

Having just seen what I could of the series on Netflix, I'm also reading Diana Gabaldon's Outlander. I was surprised. I actually liked it on Netflix.
No gods, no masters.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 26 Jun 2019, 22:57

Thank you, btw, for being more serious this time. I'm guessing no one else here but we two actually reads.
No gods, no masters.

R_Head
Berserk

Postby R_Head » 02 Jul 2019, 16:43

I am not much of a reader, not for pleasure, more for learning. However, I do more podcasts because I can listen to them and do other things at the same time. Work, drive, etc... I can be soaking up the info and use my time more effective. But, there is always, some that is not on audio and that is when I read. And... that is why, I read for learning more than for pleasure.

Oliverbrick

Postby Oliverbrick » 26 Jul 2019, 10:36

Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 27 Jul 2019, 18:47

Another re-read. "London" by Edward Rutherford
No gods, no masters.

R_Head
Berserk

Postby R_Head » 31 Jul 2019, 13:08

Nothing at this moment, way too busy doing stuff at work, at the house... does it count reading a paper target and ballistic tables? Went to the gun range for some lessons on Physics :lol:

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 31 Dec 2019, 20:14

Nothing here either for now. Busy as hell also.
No gods, no masters.

gnuuser
Berserk

Postby gnuuser » 11 Mar 2022, 02:00

Asimov's The caves of steel
About the same plot as I robot quite a good read

My favorite authors are Anne McCaffrey, David Eddings, and Frederick Pohl.
registered Linux user number 505431
Amateur radio call sign KC3TEC
miracle (mere-ack-ull) :
the aspiration of the indigent, the expectation of the indolent, and the inspiration of the ignorant.

Im so old even dirt was my apprentice!

R_Head
Berserk

Postby R_Head » 14 Mar 2022, 13:51

I was reading a chspter about Business Ethics from the University. Going for another degree. What a load of garbage! No wonder the new gen is so screwed up. I cringe when I read the book and do discussion. I am bullshiting my way through.

Return to “The Lounge”