Article 13 is almost finished – and it will change the internet as we know it

Everything about it! Heard the news? What! is Ubuntu bankrupt? Has Mandriva started marketing? Have you taken a sky diving course?
We just need to know! No flaming! And we hate spammers -Get it?

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

R_Head
Berserk

Article 13 is almost finished – and it will change the internet as we know it

Postby R_Head » 14 Jan 2019, 00:18

https://juliareda.eu/2019/01/article-13 ... -finished/

Negotiations about the EU copyright reform lawhave resumed: After missing the original Christmas deadline, negotiators for the European Parliament and Council are now aiming to finalise the text on January 21, 2019.

The negotiators have reached agreement on the core of Article 13, which will change the internet as we know it: They want to make internet platforms directly liable for any copyright infringements their users commit.

What remains to be decided: Exactly what lengths will platforms need to go to to avoid or limit their liability? Just how much they will need to restrict our ability to post and share our creations online?

Let that stew for a min, think, what does it take to enforce that? Also, who rules what is a copyright violation? What other bits and pieces were added, burried, that we do not know.

Bad Yu-Yu I see ahead +1

viking60
Über-Berserk

Re: Article 13 is almost finished – and it will change the internet as we know it

Postby viking60 » 15 Jan 2019, 13:09

Let us hope that it will not pass. The Digital rights are a bad excuse for heavy surveillance which the ISP's will have to do to avoid liability.

This is a sneaky way for governments to make others do the surveillance they cannot do themselves."Constitutions have principles so lets avoid them by using corporations... "

Germany and Italy have stated that they will vote against it so that makes this pretty dead as an European thing.

Poland seems to be for it though :think:
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

R_Head
Berserk

Re: Article 13 is almost finished – and it will change the internet as we know it

Postby R_Head » 15 Jan 2019, 14:40

Poland is sucking up to the US. A pitch that made me laugh was the suggestion to Trump to build a Military Base in Polland and called it Fort/Camp/Base Trump. Talk about sticking their heads on the US ass.

Poland's Gov Co is a big time globalist, so I would not be surprised if they vote for it.

This is "Net Neutrality" European Style ;)

Return to “The Lounge”