My week with Windows 10

Everything about it! Heard the news? What! is Ubuntu bankrupt? Has Mandriva started marketing? Have you taken a sky diving course?
We just need to know! No flaming! And we hate spammers -Get it?

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

viking60
Über-Berserk

My week with Windows 10

Postby viking60 » 03 Apr 2017, 11:30

You have probably read the reports of progressive Window's people who spend a week with Linux and report about it.

They have an open mind and report about Linux in an objective way..and always on Windows terms.

So as a Linux only user for such a long time that I only look at Windows like an exotic stranger this will be a report on the same premises but with the perspective turned around.

I have bought a Lenovo ideapad 110 laptop with a 17" screen and naturally it comes with Windows 10.

I booted and had the option to accept the Windows and Lenovo prison entry conditions +1

Not very open minded you say? Well unlike 99.9 % of all people who buy a computer..I have actually read them :berserk2
It is all about gathering info about you which you must accept because it will enhance your experience.

This might all be true but I feel robed about the choice...which should be mine..not Lenovo''s or Microsoft's.

I will resist the temptation to go on here and simply go on checking out the system and reporting about it.

So I accepted the conditions and the offers to "enhance the experience" and got my computer up and running pretty fast.

Windows 10 looks OK and has left the stupid tiles of Windows 8 and replaced them with a bottom panel and a menu.
That menu does contain the tiles but at least it gives a better overview.

So Windows 10 on this laptop lookes good and gets me started right away.

I get a Lenovo ID and lots of tips meant for newbies which is the only way to do it if you deliver computers for the "masses"...I guess.

One of those tips was to make a backup from my fresh system which makes sense since a fresh system is small and would be OK to "play back" when lightening strikes.

So I used the Lenovo software to take a system backup - an ISO that can be played back :shock:

The windows popped up and I "Entered" the default location (like all newbies would) which was D:\lenovo\OneKey App\OneKey Recovery\
There I got some nice and easy buttons like "backup" and "restore"...so I pressed the backup button.'

At this point I could lean back and simply wait - it was easy and the job started; so time to fetch a :coffee_cup:

...When I came back I had this cryptic Windows zy@? error pop up and the backup had failed :berserkf

Not good quality there.

As a true Berserk I concluded in the usual way (backup is for chickens) and simply went on checking this system out.

During that process I got regular popups about my D: being full and "click here to clean it up" which lead to the tray which had 0 bytes and the offer to delete those zero bytes from the bin :wall:
This was highly annoying since it popped op on top of whatever I was doing.

The partial broken off backup had filled the partition so I opened explorer to delete the backup and......
It was nowhere to be found...

Those "trust me" guy's had hidden it from stupid users - like me - probably to avoid us FUBARING the system. I was not able to delete the files there.

So much for the "OneKey Recovery" that is a heavy marketing point on this Lenovo with stickers and all.

To avoid those annoying popups; I used the fancy Windows partitioning system that lets me resize "partitions on the fly".

That kind of works but it was impossible to increase the size of D: even if I could reduce the size of C: :C

This is not new to Linux people who can meet the same problem with Gparted.

So my D: stayed full and those popups were driving me nuts at this point.

I googled and found EaseUS Partition Master and installed the free personal version.

This did not only let me increase the size of D: it also showed me the hidden folders where the backup was located.

So after having increased D: by some 600 MB I decided to try out the new power tools in Windows 10 - the Power Shell!

The power shell is the Windows effort to resemble the Linux terminal and It feels good for a Linux user.
I can even type "ls" instead of "dir" which is good.

But it would not show the hidden paths of the D: but since I now knew the path thanks to EaseUS I entered it in power shell (remembering to omit folder names with spaces) and finally I could do a "ls" and see all the files of the broken off backup.

Finally I could do a

Code: Select all

delete *.*
in the right directory and free up the space on the full D:

At this point I could have taken the countless offers of remote "help" which would certainly violate my privacy big time and probably not help anyway.

Building up dependencies seems to be the strategy - but I am going to resist my urge to go into this; I am testing Windows 10 on this Lenovo here...

Anyway ..Problem solved!

Moving on then enhancing security with Dnscrypt and installing ssh software and the wonderful Remote Terminal

Making it possible to communicate with my Linux network - both ways.

Moving on and checking out the multiple desktops that Microsoft also has copied from Linux to enhance the experience.

I have missed this in Windows and it works quite well! I can add extra desktops and I have not discovered any limits to how many.
I stop at four.

I cannot drag documents from one desktop to another but I can at least multitask in a better way.

I also do miss an indication on the panel bar indicating my four desktops without having to press a button first.
But I am equally annoyed with Gnome 3 in that department so I guess Microsoft just copied the wrong one.

I still have not found any way to boot from CD-Rom or USB and no way to enter Bios so I feel pretty locked down in this system.

But hey this is only day one... so hang in there..

Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

viking60
Über-Berserk

Re: My week with Windows 10

Postby viking60 » 04 Apr 2017, 13:10

I called Microsoft to resolve the inability to enter boot options to "un-restrict" the hardware but no key combination they suggested worked.
But they directed me to a site where I could download a Win10.iso so I could reinstall Windows 10.

That worked well and I picked the USB image and put it on my dongle. Then I had to start the setup from within Windows since it is impossible to boot from anything but harddisk.

The Win 10 re-installation from scratch went just fine and was painless - good to know.
Good service from Microsoft there but it did not help with my locked down Lenovo.

Oracle's Virtualbox can also only offer 32bit clients in this environment that is likely to be a Bios setting problem...which I cannot access....
So back to testing Windows 10 then....
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.

R_Head
Berserk

Postby R_Head » 04 Apr 2017, 18:24

I have Win10 on my dual boot laptop... not a fan of it. Cortana keeps coming up asking me, if I need help or assistance to look online for me. Reminds me of that anoying Office's Clippy character, but this time, is like a Turd that will not flush; a floater :lol:

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 04 Apr 2017, 19:03

I have disabled Cortana

R_Head
Berserk

Postby R_Head » 05 Apr 2017, 12:03

Might get with you on that one. I was able to "turn it off" but I think is not 100% off. Beside, I stay in Linux most of the time. The MS side is 99.9% not used ;)

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 05 Apr 2017, 17:57

I sure get that after a few days of Win10.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 06 Apr 2017, 01:29

Puh I finally managed to enter the Bios!
I could turn off everything needed and install Manjaro alongside Windows10. I have to read up on howto get the windows entry working again though.

It was F2 but I had to hammer it for a long time.

R_Head
Berserk

Postby R_Head » 06 Apr 2017, 01:54

I though you were going to press the FU key... :lol:

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 06 Apr 2017, 07:38

Yeah I have hammered pretty much every key on this one.
ATM I boot Linux in Legacy mode and Win 10 in Uefi mode.
Edit:
I am going to try to put Win10 where my mouth is: In a VM under Linux +1

Downloading the ISO from here:
https://www.microsoft.com/nb-no/softwar ... ndows10ISO
:drummer
:drummer
Success! :jackpot

I'll write it up later..

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 13 Apr 2017, 12:42

Ok so I have been using Windows 10 for a while now.
The Apps; formerly called software, work on Windows too :-D In terms of functionality Win 10 is OK and fairly snappy.

The menu is a mixture of traditional menu and the Win 8 tiles. Those tiles are more or less adds after a fresh install.
The menu is a huge improvement from Windows 8 and closer to Windows 7.
The Edge browser is..yet another Browser.. and does the job just fine. The fuss MS is making about it is over the top though. It is a browser.
The Powershell might be a revelation to Win users that gives some more "shell power" to Windows.

For me it was an improvement but nowhere near as powerful as the Linux terminal. When Windows 10 works as supposed to there is not much to complain about and the DE looks pretty much exactly like Opensuse's KDE version (or vice versa :-D ).

When Windows starts with the traditional Window popup nagging with more or less intelligent messages; then I remember why I transferred to Linux! +1

The ones that are understandable like "full disk" come up with the helpful solution to remove 0 bytes from the Trash bin :wall:

So after having removed 0 bytes from the trash bin a zillion times the nagging will simply go on and that is not newbie friendly if you ask me :snooty:

It is fixable because you can re-partition but that is no newbie stuff. :C

I miss the freedom of Linux - the ability to address the issue and fix it myself without a professional service that will tape my every word and share it with a third party.

These are not words or propaganda - it is a feeling of freedom or lack thereof.

That makes a transition back to Windows somewhere in between hard and impossible.

If you belong to those who have "nothing to hide" (much unlike our governments and IT corporations) then I guess Windows 10 will be a good choice for you.

R_Head
Berserk

Postby R_Head » 14 Apr 2017, 00:01

Yes... is way better than Win8 by a super long shot. The only MS OS that I can say was the best is Win2K. That thing was lighting fast with 4 GBs of RAM. I wonder if can be installed on newer hardware.

viking60
Über-Berserk

My week with Windows 10 - The movie

Postby viking60 » 16 Apr 2017, 12:53

So I put Windows in a VM under Manjaro Linux so here is the movie
:A
Vimeo

https://vimeo.com/213410319
:A
Youtube

https://youtu.be/tVHqUwN8lEA

Return to “The Lounge”