Networking everyday problems - and solutions

Everything about it! Heard the news? What! is Ubuntu bankrupt? Has Mandriva started marketing? Have you taken a sky diving course?
We just need to know! No flaming! And we hate spammers -Get it?

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

viking60
Über-Berserk

Networking everyday problems - and solutions

Postby viking60 » 25 Jul 2016, 19:31

Well I have this wife that has been using Arch for 6 years on her laptop - without knowing it.

It works like this:
If something does not work I am dynamically encouraged to fix it pronto! Which I do of course. :smug

It worked well but a short while back the GUI disappeared due to a bug so I decided to install Manjaro on it.

My wife does not care if it is Linux or Windows - it just must work so I figured Manjaro would make my life easier.

Today she came in and said:

"The network is not working - fix it" :!:

and indeed the Wifi was gone :think:
No connection whatsoever.

So I calmed her down and said I would work my magic. :smug
Often in these cases when "the network is gone" it is Dnscrypt and Dnsmasq that could be down - not so this time.

So I checked the network card and driver with

Code: Select all

inxi -n

And it was down but I needed to get the name of the wireless interface . it is not good old wlan0 anymore it is something like wlp7s0.

After that it is easy...

Code: Select all

ip link set wlp7s0 up

and
:drummer
eh..no still nothing :confused

Ah of course :idea: there is no ip so I did the ip addr add enchilada too
:drummer
..and nothing. :wall:

So having done all the usual motions without any luck it dawned on me:

There is nothing wrong with the wifi setup on her box!

Then I entered the router and discovered that some ±£$¡² at the ISP must have been playing around in there and he simply had turned off the wifi! :berserkf

It took me 10 minutes under heavy pressure.
Some ±£$¡ will have a difficult life after this :berserk2 and maybe I should have checked the obvious first :oops:

The moral of the story is: My Linux install is more trustworthy than my ISP :-D
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

Return to “The Lounge”