laptop: Switched from Arch to Manjaro today...

Everything about it! Heard the news? What! is Ubuntu bankrupt? Has Mandriva started marketing? Have you taken a sky diving course?
We just need to know! No flaming! And we hate spammers -Get it?

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

viking60
Über-Berserk

laptop: Switched from Arch to Manjaro today...

Postby viking60 » 16 Apr 2016, 01:18

After 6 years with pure Archlinux my wifes lap decided to play pranks on me wth no GUI etc (Seems to be an issue with Arch and Antergos for Kernels greater than 4.1).
Now this is a dangerous situation for any experienced married man because he knows he will be blamed for it +1

The automatic login of my wife simply stopped at a black screen - and true enough - it was my fault! :( With an order to "fix it" -pronto- I tried to figure out the problem and decided that a fresh install would take less time. Let's face it; after 6 years of rolling with Arch on this box that might just be the right medicine.

Since I was under pressure to do it fast; I decided to install Manjaro because Arch tends to take somewhat longer.

Usually I go for the net install, but this time I went for the default XFCE4.

I tried all of the 3 installers on the Live CD and one worked right out of the box. That was a bit disappointing but after some reboots I managed to get the install going.

I can see why people have been complaining about this though.

After the install I tried to update the fresh install with pacman -Syu and after a sh.. load of updates that took more that 30 min it failed due to the lack of correct keys,

This is fixable but highly annoying,

Then every connection I tried with SSH was refused even if it is default with Manjaro Xfce :berserkf
I finally figured out that the ssh daemon simply was not started so a:

Code: Select all

sudo systemctl start sshd
followed by a

Code: Select all

sudo systemctl enable sshd
fixed it.

Anyway the end result is very good and to my surprise Xfe4 is not in any way slower than Openbox that I used to run under Arch.

It toke a few hours but my main source of information was this forum! Here I read how to transfer Thunderbird and Chromium data and howto set up dnsmasq, dnscrypt and apply that Tor-browser key,

The tips and tricks section works!

...And now this old lap is ready for 6 new years,,,
Image :tux5: Image
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

Return to “The Lounge”