What does your desktop look like?

Everything about it! Heard the news? What! is Ubuntu bankrupt? Has Mandriva started marketing? Have you taken a sky diving course?
We just need to know! No flaming! And we hate spammers -Get it?

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

viking60
Über-Berserk

Re: What does your desktop look like?

Postby viking60 » 28 Jul 2010, 22:04

Nice! And welcome :B
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 28 Jul 2010, 23:03

Oh wow @usteveu, thanks for joining and sharing! Welcome! Please contribute wherever/whenever you'd like here. I'm sure you'll like your stay! :)

Nice desktop! I agree about KDE4, and still do my best to hang on to KDE3.5.10 myself. Having a time trying to figure out how to get Amarok1 installed to Fedora13 though.

Used to run Mandriva for years myself. Can't wait until you try Arch though... we'll have some serious fun then, I'm sure! :)

Dual monitors! @jostebowen runs them, too. :)

<3, and Peace! Thank you for your conversations on Twitter!
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 29 Jul 2010, 04:58

usteveu wrote:hi folks, it's dedanna's fault i'm here. she suggested i join and jump in so here i be. i wanted to showoff my desktop to her. i hope you like it dedanna. this is mandriva 2010.0 gnome 2.28.0. i'm running dual monitors. total resolution = 3520x1200. wallpaper found on deviantart. i like this guy's flames. http://jbensch.deviantart.com/ i like kde3510 but had to switch to gnome. i just can't get used to kde4. it's all good though, i'm not gonna insult any linux project. i just prefer the way kde 3.5.10 worked. been running mandriva about five years now. it seems to work the best for me out of all the distros so i stick with it. i have seen just about all the other distros in virtual machines. i would like to try arch someday when i get time to delve into it. i have debian and mandriva spring kde4 on another couple of old machines for testing, etc. i've really got to make some time to learn arch as i know it's hot stuff ;)

Code: Select all

$ cat /etc/issue
Mandriva Linux release 2010.0 (Official) for i586
Kernel 2.6.31.13-desktop-1mnb on an i686 / \l

$ gnome-panel --version
GNOME gnome-panel 2.28.0

$ xrandr
Screen 0: minimum 3520 x 1200, current 3520 x 1200, maximum 3520 x 1200
default connected 3520x1200+0+0 0mm x 0mm
   3520x1200      50.0*

Man, I still can't get over this one. @usteveu, if you'd like I can send you some of my old Mandriva ones. Up to you.
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.

usteveu

Postby usteveu » 01 Aug 2010, 23:37

viking60 wrote:Nice! And welcome :B

thanks. i see you're a virtualbox aficionado. me too.

@dedanna i had to jump in the deep water when i first started linux. i simply had to have dual monitors. so i jumped right off the deep end with installing nvidia drivers, editing xorg with vim, dropping run level, etc. it only took me two weeks to firgure how to get 'r done, lol. but i did it, goodbye windoze.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 02 Aug 2010, 00:04

Wow I am impressed! And I like the spirit.
And yes I have a zillion distros in the Virtual box. As a matter of fact Windows XP has never been as fast and stable :)
And of course I have Fedora Ubuntu Unity PCLOS Gentoo BSD Peppermint normal and cloud ++++++++
It is a must have,
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 16 Aug 2010, 19:37

Many, many thanks to Joste for this one. He thought I could use some flowers from Scotland, and he was right. :)

You can see his photostream here.

Mom, when you view, just click these pics. They'll come up in a window that you can see them in.

Edit: Oops, sorry! Forgot to get it with gkrellm going! Here you go!

Must haz system monitor. :)

Edit #2: I made some modifications. Was having issues with the Shiki-Noble theme, and couldn't find anywhere to modify it like this:

Also thought I'd like a bit more green in there, so I could have my two favorite colors for the very first time on my desktop (never could make them work before until now):

I am in awe of this. :) It's a keeper. Clearlooks-Wise theme, with Gnome-Noble icons.

Next stop, build the cube and cylinder in compiz-fusion. Now that,,,, will be awesome! Who knows, maybe I'll even put this really nice pic of Joste on the cap. :)
No gods, no masters.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 18 Aug 2010, 04:19

Hey Boss, when you're feeling better, look here:
No gods, no masters.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 18 Aug 2010, 19:55

Wow - I think.
Have you installed it? I am curious about this one. Couldn't hurt to get some opinions first - or do you want to use me as a guinea pig? :lol:
I think this is brilliant if in trouble when installing Gnome, or just lazy. But since mine works just fine I don't think I need it.

But it sure will take the fear out of installing the gnome desktop as it looks. I might give it a spin on a new box in a day or two.
Edit:
Wth I'll give it a spin on my working gnome box :D Ill report back...

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 18 Aug 2010, 21:01

Just for an arch desktop theme? LOL
No gods, no masters.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 18 Aug 2010, 21:20

Well you do have to replace nautilus. So it is not just the theme...

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 18 Aug 2010, 21:24

dedanna1029 wrote:Hey Boss, when you're feeling better, look here:

You have to replace nautilus for this? Or are we not having the same conversation here? Been confusing conversations a lot lately (see inner ear infection).
No gods, no masters.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 18 Aug 2010, 21:32

Same discussion. One of the dependencies conflicts with nautilus and needs to replace it with another nautilus version (kind of). No problem though. I cannot see the difference. In fact I cannot even find the theme :lol:

Return to “The Lounge”