The weather thread

Everything about it! Heard the news? What! is Ubuntu bankrupt? Has Mandriva started marketing? Have you taken a sky diving course?
We just need to know! No flaming! And we hate spammers -Get it?

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Re: The weather thread

Postby dedanna1029 » 26 Nov 2010, 01:14

Tried to post from my weather.bash script and got an error:

Code: Select all

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]

Incorrect string value: '\xE2\x94\x82 36...' for column 'post_text' at row 1 [1366]

An SQL error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact the Board Administrator if this problem persists.
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 26 Nov 2010, 01:16

Testing weather.bash again:

Edit: Yep, it doesn't like it.
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 26 Nov 2010, 08:43

Looks like we're down close to what Norway is right now - we're at -7.7 degrees C!
No gods, no masters.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 26 Nov 2010, 15:04

Yeah global warming will do that to you. Apparently global warming is not happening in Europe and Australia it is getting colder there. But the rest of the world more than compensates for it (Russia North America Canada Afrika).
The terribly frightening fact is that the earth has gotten 0,8 degrees hotter since 1750. The Ocean has become 1,4 C warmer. I don't know what to believe. The Ice on the Norwegian part of Antarctica is NOT melting. But apparently all the other areas are. Dear God what have we done wrong? Can we please have some global warming too?
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

R_Head
Berserk

Postby R_Head » 29 Nov 2010, 21:44

viking60 wrote:Yeah global warming will do that to you. Apparently global warming is not happening in Europe and Australia it is getting colder there. But the rest of the world more than compensates for it (Russia North America Canada Afrika).
The terribly frightening fact is that the earth has gotten 0,8 degrees hotter since 1750. The Ocean has become 1,4 C warmer. I don't know what to believe. The Ice on the Norwegian part of Antarctica is NOT melting. But apparently all the other areas are. Dear God what have we done wrong? Can we please have some global warming too?

This Global Warning is a half ass lie or truth, depending how you want to see it. The Earth is known for been through cycles. There was more than once an Ice Age. In my opinion, we might have some to do with it but in reality there is more to it. Some group of people are using a "Could Be" type a theory and ran the Global Warming Boogieman ball with it.

To be honest, I do not believe all they say, but I am not a deft ear either.

They use the same tactics on Weight Reduction snake oil. Most advertising clinch to some sort of study that might be related to weight loss, place some evidence, hire some guy on a coat (a Doctor?) to tell you how the study was and make you believe that is true. When you do your research, seems to pan out but a real concrete evidence or data can not be obtained. Very old an effective trick.

In the world of the Mythbusters is called Plausible.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 29 Nov 2010, 23:05

Yes well the majority of the scientists say we have a global warming - I guess that can be measured. But compared to what?
At some point all the scientists said the earth was flat too.
I am freezing my but off - so they better be more convincing. I am tired of this number game. So MANY scientists say it, so you have to believe it. NO! I say I need to know why they say it. The mere fact that they say it is not enough. And it is a fact that it is getting colder here. I have not seen any good explanation for that.
Now they say I should enjoy the cold weather while I can - yeah right! I guess it is plausible though :)
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 30 Nov 2010, 00:10

We could trade if you want... it's warmed back up here. Some anyway.
No gods, no masters.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 06 Dec 2010, 21:08

I'm very worried for my Scottish friends today, one in particular who isn't off work yet, I don't think (not 100% sure):

ROADS

The poor weather caused traffic to come to a standstill on many major routes. The Forth Road Bridge was closed on the southbound side after a lorry jacknifed in the winter conditions.

Motorways have been badly affected, particularly the M80 and M876.

A number of roads across the Lothian and Borders Police force area were also closed.

The A720 city bypass was gridlocked and motorists were advised to avoid road travel unless absolutely essential.

Those who are required to drive are urged to plan their journeys in advance and allow extra time for travel.

In the Highlands a bus with 21 passengers on board slid off the road in the wintry conditions and collided with rocks.

The Westerbus service was travelling on the A832 between Gairloch and Ullapool when the accident happened near Gruinard at around 9.30am.
No one was injured and a spare bus was sent to enable the passengers to complete their journey.

More here.

I heard from one friend who said that it took over 4 hours to get home today... he's the only one I've heard from... :(
No gods, no masters.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 06 Dec 2010, 22:50

Yes what is normal here is a disaster in Britain. They are not all that prepared for it. I have 4wd and spike tires so I have no problem. The main roads are being cleared and salted directly on the snowfall.

R_Head
Berserk

Postby R_Head » 07 Dec 2010, 15:52

Today's weather here in the beautiful Tulsa Oklahoma is...
26°F and Feels Like: 20°

Global Warming my ASS !

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 07 Dec 2010, 17:46

I second that -17° C (1.3999999999999986° F) here now and sinking. My ass is cold :D They will have to stop calling it global warming. This must be regional warming because it sure is not getting any warmer here. Some expert is probably going to try convincing me, but my ass will disagree. :mrgreen:

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 07 Dec 2010, 22:41

LOL. It's the same in Scotland right now Viking... :(
No gods, no masters.

Return to “The Lounge”