Image thumbnail sites U R kan use

Everything about it! Heard the news? What! is Ubuntu bankrupt? Has Mandriva started marketing? Have you taken a sky diving course?
We just need to know! No flaming! And we hate spammers -Get it?

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Image thumbnail sites U R kan use

Postby dedanna1029 » 20 May 2011, 02:12

FYI, for those who prefer thumbnails to posting full pics in spoilers:

http://imageshack.us/ - this is the one I use. Example:
(Yes, I am a Linus. I have a seriously treasured Blankie. The only difference is I don't suck my thumb or anything else; it's merely for security through PTSD incidents)

http://bildr.no/ - this is the one viking uses.

http://www.pixa.us/index.html (Formerly PicTiger; uploading goes slowly when uploading pics in bulk, but it's okay, as you do get nice clickable thumbnails; here's an example one for ya):

http://imgur.com/ - this one is extremely slow IMO, and doesn't quite suit the bill on what most would want out of a thumbnail. The thumbnails are not clickable. You would want to click "More sizes" on the pic you want to post, and go from there. Example of a large thumbnail:

Example of a small square **NOTE THIS IS NOT A CLICKABLE LINK**:

http://www.iimmgg.com/ - this one boasts "unlimted bandwidth and storage space" and "You can also post images on blogs, forums, message boards etc."
I have not tried this one, and don't really intend to. Just because you can post 'em at the forums, doesn't necessarily mean you can do it with a clickable thumbnail.

There you have it. If you have more of these sites that you know about that will do clickable thumbnails, please do tell in this thread.

Have phun.
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

viking60
Über-Berserk

Re: Image thumbnail sites - Please sticky this.

Postby viking60 » 20 May 2011, 09:55

Made a sticky!
I use http://bildr.no because I find it to be the fastest and easiest. On the front page you just pick your pic and upload it. Then you can immediately copy the link. You are not likely to find your pics again though.
Also they log your IP when you upload and they use the Google services Analytics and Adsense. But you do not have to register. Still I do not like that part.
Imageshack seems to have better conditions but you have to register and that is a lot more information.
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Re: Image thumbnail sites - Please sticky this.

Postby dedanna1029 » 21 May 2011, 09:01

Actually, no you don't *have* to register at imageshack. You have all your url options off the bat, too like bildr.no. However, if you don't, it's like bildr.no in that if you don't, good luck finding your pics again.

See? Just did it without logging in:

And, lookie all this kewl linky-dinky option crapola I've got:

One also has option of how to upload it. Resized, or not, optimized, whatever, logged in or not. The only single reason I registered was so I'd know where my pics are, and to keep them all in one place. You can see I wasn't logged in when I uploaded that - it's telling me I can register. I suggested to rolf the other day to do it the way I explained there, because it seemed like it would be easier for him, and for me to explain how to do it there.

Gracias for the sticky.
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Re: Image thumbnail sites U R kan use

Postby dedanna1029 » 23 Jun 2011, 14:52

There is also a newer one called Yogile, they came out with it last year as a Photobucket replacement site. There are features that Photobucket has that Yogile doesn't (in fact, quite a few of them), but then Yogile was made to simplify things for the user.

Neither offer thumbnails, they only offer links to the image itself for various types of sites. With Yogile, it's mostly to social media sites, and there is something I noticed on it a while ago. When one goes to share a photo... watch what happens. Look where I put the arrows here:

NOBODY but NOBODY sticks their pics in with mine. NOBODY (or they'd damn sure know they did).
No gods, no masters.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 29 Jun 2011, 18:52

Photobucket, btw, now does clickable thumbnails. Select the pic(s) at your Photobucket that you want to get the thumbnail(s) for, and then at the bottom of the page, click "Choose action", then "Generate link codes for selected". Click in the 3rd field down for forum code, it will auto-copy for you, all you have to do is paste it in. Here is an example.
No gods, no masters.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 13 Feb 2014, 11:14

It looks like bildr.no has gone out of business - this might break my thumbs here :f
I have found imgur to provide a simmilar service (where you don't have to register).
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.

Snorkasaurus
Berserk

Postby Snorkasaurus » 27 Feb 2014, 04:19

Have you tried PostImg?
Good: You don't have to sign up but can if you wish to manage photos.
Bad: Their Windows application puts itself in your startup without asking (at least it did about half a year ago)
Ugly: Nothing I know of

Any thoughts?

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 27 Feb 2014, 10:28

I uploaded a pic and chose thumbnail

No problem and no registration.

I would have excepted the thumb to point to the bigger pic. but it goes back to the site. That is a matter of habit though so I will have to pick the right size.

The service seems to be German - und das ist sehr gut - since they actually have an understanding of the concept of privacy.
I will test this one some more...
And then I found out that this is a US service - so no luck there....
It could be integrated directly in this forum so you only have to click "add photo to post" but if the link always goes to the postimg site instead of to the pic that is not desirable.
No adds though - and that is good.

In terms of flexibility I think imgur.com is better and since bildr.no is up again that is better too - but as we have seen bildr.no can stay down for days without explanation - so that makes it really bad...And they have a lousy privacy policy too.

But then imgur is probably worse so these free services are not free - you are the product. Postimage seems to be the best in that department:
Privacy policy

Privacy policy of postimage.org service:
PostImage.org does not require registration in order to upload images, so it doesn't record any email addresses.
We do not collect any personally identifiable data on people who view images. Hovewer, when visitor uploads image to postimage.org server information about visitor is recorded so in case of abuse of terms of service our staff can easily identify and block offending user. Information about uploader is available only to staff members that do moderation of images, that information will not be displayed anywhere in public or given to anyone.

imgur is selling you:
and we may partner with third party advertisers who may (themselves or through their partners) place or recognize a unique cookie on your browser. These cookies enable more customized ads, content or services to be provided to you. To trigger these cookies, we may pass an encrypted or "hashed" (non-human readable) identifier corresponding to your email address to a Web advertising partner, who may place a cookie on your computer. No personally identifiable information is on, or is connected to, these cookies. To opt-out of these cookies, please go to

So don't use smartphones to upload! They are every stalkers wet dream. And never upload a pic of your face (or your bottom for that matter) - they will match it against that camera that blinked when you were speeding....

Imgur does offer a link to opt-out of their traking cookies:
http://privacychoice.org/trackerblock (a general block plugin ; I dunno if it is any good)

All in all postimg might be the best service.

Snorkasaurus
Berserk

Postby Snorkasaurus » 27 Feb 2014, 17:54

viking60 wrote:Imgur does offer a link to opt-out of their traking cookies:
http://privacychoice.org/trackerblock (a general block plugin ; I dunno if it is any good)

Here's something I don't understand about privacychoice.org... if they are truly interested in privacy then why do they have this cookie policy? Here's the part that bothers me:
privacychoice.org wrote:When you visit privacychoice.org, we use browser cookies (small text files stored by your browser) in order to make our service as reliable and easy-to-use as possible. By identifying your browser from page to page through cookies, we can help you navigate the site more effectively, secure your access to registered services (like PrivacyChoice Policymaker) and measure how people are using our services.

But cookies should not make their service more reliable or easier to use. And "identifying my browser to help me navigate" can be done by checking the user-agent string my browser sends them instead of a cookie. Further, nobody needs to secure my access to their web site unless I am logging in to an account (which I am not). Finally, they should be measuring "how people are using their services" with a log file analyzer that will tell them which parts of their site are getting the most use.

Hmmm, I don't like the looks of that place. :-(

S.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 29 Nov 2016, 03:54

This thread is old and pretty revealing regarding the "host forever" policies of various sites.
Not many images above have "survived".

Postimage has a "forever" policy now and you do not have to register (I am not sure if they had that before but you can clearly see that the image has been removed above.)

Postimage thumbnails:
ImageImage

Postimage "Direct link" and put it in [img] tags
This is the Postimg "Hotlink for forums"
Imagefoto hochladen
Postimage seems to be the best option since Tinypic can remove your pics after 90 days if you do not have an account.
These pics are uploaded with "no expiration"

Let's see how long they stay.....

The only ones that have survived above are imgur but they have changed lately so you need to register. :berserk2
..and at the time of this test the imgur site was down with a 503 error:
Imgur seem to think that they are a forum these days and that uploaded images are "posts".

Zimagez is new to me and lets me upload without registration:
Images will stay on "as long as they are used". But as you can see the images don't work at all.

Freeimage is supposed to let me upload without registration and complains about lack of ID after I have uploaded - so it is basically :bsflag

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 02 Mar 2017, 13:53

You can now just click the Blue "P" under your post (while you are posting) and pick the image to upload.
It will be automatically integrated in your post.
:A
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4290

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 05 Jun 2017, 05:57

The coolest!
No gods, no masters.

Return to “The Lounge”