Homer Simpson Moments

Everything about it! Heard the news? What! is Ubuntu bankrupt? Has Mandriva started marketing? Have you taken a sky diving course?
We just need to know! No flaming! And we hate spammers -Get it?

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

gnuuser
Berserk

Homer Simpson Moments

Postby gnuuser » 08 Feb 2020, 03:57

:Doh:
today testing out some old cb antennas. try as i might I couldn't get them to match :wall:
after about three hours I finally got up and got a couple beers, While downing the second one it hit me :o
Remembering my radio classes 40 years ago I remembered the teacher saying" Any transmitting antenna requires a ground
plane equal or slightly larger than the transmitting element to match impedance:
:Doh:
finished my beer and as an experiment used an old 35 inch car radio antenna with a nylon disk as insulator. Then made (5) 7 inch radial elements wired together and bent downward at a 45 degree angle,
mounted it on a fence post away from the house and connected the coax. :pray:

Lo and Behold swr tested the junktenna and you guessed it (1.2: to 1 swr) damn near a perfect match :jackpot

must be the beer jogged my brain cells awake.
I sure am not going to forget that.

:lolup

kind of makes me want to try ham radios
registered Linux user number 505431

miracle (mere-ack-ull) :
the aspiration of the indigent, the expectation of the indolent, and the inspiration of the ignorant.

gnuuser
Berserk

Re: Homer Simpson Moments

Postby gnuuser » 08 Feb 2020, 18:28

Quick image of the junktenna

miracle (mere-ack-ull) :
the aspiration of the indigent, the expectation of the indolent, and the inspiration of the ignorant.

R_Head
Berserk

Postby R_Head » 10 Feb 2020, 04:18

Eureka moment :lol:

gnuuser
Berserk

Postby gnuuser » 12 Feb 2020, 02:53

got the new firestick firefly antenna (white) just waiting for the mount I ordered, which should be here in a couple days.
anyway a trucker friend asked why Im setting up the cb in my vehicle, and I responded "I'm fire police and sometimes we have to close down roads due to accidents and Its nice to give you drivers a little advanced notice so you can choose another route"

he shook my hand and said god bless you for thinking of us!
sure is a lot easier than trying to turn a double trailer around on a narrow road!

miracle (mere-ack-ull) :

Return to “The Lounge”