Oracle going after Google for patent infringement

Business as usual?

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

viking60
Über-Berserk

Oracle going after Google for patent infringement

Postby viking60 » 16 Aug 2010, 12:24

Looks like Oracle now have ambitions of ruling the world.
Oracle vs Google

They seem to want a piece of the Android cake. This will probably not be the last action in the absurd patent laden war. And Google actually pretends to be Open source. So Oracles agenda just looks dirty. They definately have the potential of making trouble with their control over Mysql, Java, Virtualbox, Virtual Machine and Solaris The Absurdity of software patents being proven over and over again.
That Google chose Java to develop android does not give Oracle any rights, they could have chosen any Language like C#.
There is no intelligent defense for putting patents on languages, Not for Java C# or English. I sure hope the American supreme court can see this, and save themselves some time.
I think this is a fairly good view on this:
http://www.kdedevelopers.org/node/4309

Oracle could argue that they want to secure Javas portability (Google did not secure that one - so they are no angels), but IMO they want to milk their Sun investment for whatever it may be worth.

The tragic thing in these matters is that it always is the creative party that gets sued - the one that has accomplished something,

PS: If I have used any words that are patented in the US here I am truly happy :!: Sue me! - right Oracle?
Lets give the lawyers some work.
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Re: Oracle going after Google for patent infringement

Postby dedanna1029 » 16 Aug 2010, 15:58

Yeah, speaking of which, think I'll start posting my mp3s again in the Music section... from my own site. Make 'em downloadable. Screw the bastards. Sue me. All of this with Oracle has me too pissed off. They can rule this AFAIC.
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 16 Aug 2010, 16:03

:lol: I am a bit unsure; which bastards? (I don't think Oracle makes music or films:)
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 16 Aug 2010, 16:13

No matter. It's the only infringement on copyright and patents that I can do right now in protest. I don't got anything else. LOL. Maybe once they get really rolling now that they think they're so "free" and can sue everyone on the planet for stuff, I can download some of Oracle's stuff that they will be selling on torrent with a crack, and tell them I did. Bastards.
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.

rvause
Viking

Postby rvause » 18 Aug 2010, 01:42

Oracle's recent actions remind me of a young child at nursery with their arms round as much toys as they can carry, running into a corner shouting 'MINE!'

Is this likely to mean that after a long legal battle google or manufacturers making android devices will have to give Oracle some of the cream from their profits?

This will certainly dissuade casual users of Java like myself, and developers will be looking toward postgresql as their relational database.

An oracle is supposed to have a vision of the future. Does this mean the future for software is based on patents and cagey proprietary products? Cause I thought the future was supposed to be about free software, openness and transparency.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 18 Aug 2010, 03:53

rvause wrote:Oracle's recent actions remind me of a young child at nursery with their arms round as much toys as they can carry, running into a corner shouting 'MINE!'

Hear, hear!

rvause wrote:Is this likely to mean that after a long legal battle google or manufacturers making android devices will have to give Oracle some of the cream from their profits?

Probably.

rvause wrote:This will certainly dissuade casual users of Java like myself, and developers will be looking toward postgresql as their relational database.

Funny I already do.

rvause wrote:An oracle is supposed to have a vision of the future. Does this mean the future for software is based on patents and cagey proprietary products? Cause I thought the future was supposed to be about free software, openness and transparency.

So did I. Guess no one else other than those of us in the true open source world thought so. Unfortunately.
No gods, no masters.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 18 Aug 2010, 12:47

rvause wrote:Oracle's recent actions remind me of a young child at nursery with their arms round as much toys as they can carry, running into a corner shouting 'MINE!'

Is this likely to mean that after a long legal battle google or manufacturers making android devices will have to give Oracle some of the cream from their profits?

This will certainly dissuade casual users of Java like myself, and developers will be looking toward postgresql as their relational database.

An oracle is supposed to have a vision of the future. Does this mean the future for software is based on patents and cagey proprietary products? Cause I thought the future was supposed to be about free software, openness and transparency.

Oracle has a rather old fashioned corporate image. They are communicating to and with the big "Businesses". This is a logical thing for Oracle given their product and their history. Mysql is fine for databases of 100GB and Oracle DB wil easily handle several terra bytes.
So size matters as far as Oracle is concerned. They have no culture for Open source and they do not have an understanding of how it works - and until recently it was no issue with the big business customers either.
IBM learned this the hard way and went back to the open source model because it benefited them and their customers. This will be hard to do for Oracle now, but we can always hope.
As you say the Open source community is now increasingly moving towards postgreeSQL so they are loosing market shares already. They might think it does not matter.
But I think Microsoft got popular with the common users before it found its way into business - so it should not be under estimated.
They are excluding the knowledgeable IT people here - and that is never a good idea!
Bad business too if you ask me:
Why on earth spend all that money on Sun if they want an Oracle copy? Sure they got rid of a competitor - but they could have gotten so much more out of it.
Not all open source advocates are communists who hates businesses - I think this prejudice will be expensive for Oracle.

Sure! Google did thoroughly spit in Oracles soup by ruining the one fantastic characteristic that Java has: It can be used on any platform. Not so anymore with Android.
Google would have had a lot of trouble with this if it was not for Oracle. As it is, Oracle has the role of being the big bad wolf - And that is bad business!

Return to “Business”