In Desperation Move, IBM Buys Red Hat For $34 Billion In Largest Ever Acquisition

Business as usual?

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

R_Head
Berserk

In Desperation Move, IBM Buys Red Hat For $34 Billion In Largest Ever Acquisition

Postby R_Head » 28 Oct 2018, 23:49

In what can only be described as a desperation move, IBM announced that it would acquire Linux distributor Red Hat for a whopping $34 billion, its biggest purchase ever, as the company scrambles to catch up to the competition and boost its flagging cloud sales. Still hurting from its Q3 earnings, which sent its stock tumbling to the lowest level since 2010 after Wall Street was disappointed by yet another quarter of declining revenue...

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-10- ... cquisition

God save us...

viking60
Über-Berserk

Re: In Desperation Move, IBM Buys Red Hat For $34 Billion In Largest Ever Acquisition

Postby viking60 » 29 Oct 2018, 10:37

This makes a lot of sense for IBM.
They have the hardware that never could run sensible with Windows - aka supercomputers - and their AIX stuff is...not as good as Linux and they know it.

I am not sure this is all that good for Open Source but I guess IBM will not Fubar the standings of RedHat in that department. RedHat has been very successful with open source and IBM needs that success.

Lets hope that Big Brother does not aspire to control all the supercomputers in the world (which would heavily implement IBM).

The cloud business will now be dominated by IBM servers running Linux. Somehow that is reassuring in terms of quality.

And people should still never trust any third party cloud with mission critical data.. :naughty:
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

R_Head
Berserk

Re: In Desperation Move, IBM Buys Red Hat For $34 Billion In Largest Ever Acquisition

Postby R_Head » 30 Oct 2018, 23:56

My fear with Big Blue is the Intellectual Property (IP) and how they are going to use it. They are a big litigation powerhouse with all the patents they hold. As a business is No Product/Production, High Return for doing not a dang thing means High Proffits. Time will tell and in my book is huge Double Edged Sword.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 31 Oct 2018, 12:04

I know IBM as a high quality and serious business partner. They are all about business but they did embrace Linux as a technology early on - simply because it is high quality and fits the Business Machines.

I also remember IBM being extremely expensive.

The world is coming back to IBM after the PC area is over and huge Business machines are taking over; making "clouds" all over the place.

In many ways it is good old days for IBM. I think they will prosper with this deal and they will give back to the Linux community as they have before and as RedHat always has done...because it is good business.

I am running a Centos server (RedHat) and it will still be there after this.

As things are IBM is probably not the worst that could happen to RedHat (it could have been Oracle).
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 25 Nov 2018, 18:44

(It also could have been Microsoft.)
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

Return to “Business”