Microsoft is interested in buying AMD

Business as usual?

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

viking60
Über-Berserk

Microsoft is interested in buying AMD

Postby viking60 » 30 Jun 2015, 22:34

Microsoft Qualcomm and Samsung are all interested in buying AMD.
Amd will cost about $2 billion which is well within the cash reserves of the interested companies. Microsoft has the most so if they really want it only regulations will be able to stop them.

It is more than likely that there will be regulatory hurdles before any deal goes through.
Giving the microchips to the biggest software company might well be overstepping fair competition regulations.
The big interest lies in the game consoles; companies like Sony do use AMD in their Playstation and would be forced to pay licenses to Microsoft who have the competing Xbox.

More here
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Re: Microsoft is interested in buying AMD

Postby dedanna1029 » 14 Jul 2015, 07:02

Ugh. Is there anything they don't want to buy? I mean, I realise it was Gates' intention to take over the world, but...
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

Panther96

Postby Panther96 » 28 Jul 2015, 01:53

dedanna1029 wrote:Ugh. Is there anything they don't want to buy? I mean, I realise it was Gates' intention to take over the world, but...

You're forgetting that Microsoft doesn't really innovate anything of quality, they only buy innovation. Our productivity suite sucks? Lets buy Office! We don't have a serious video chat service? Buy skype! Our Windows phone isn't taken seriously? buy Nokia!

R_Head
Berserk

Postby R_Head » 29 Jul 2015, 13:40

Skype is going down the tubes since they bought it. Nokia, down the tubes since they bought it.

Office is not that good, is people that are locked to that ecosystem.

AMD and nVidia were the hardware of choice for my Linux install since Intel and MS had/have that stupid partnership. Have not build any systems in more than 10 years and now all is so changed....

MS is like a cancerous body that wants to infest it all. My take is, the collaboration with Linux is to add some of their code and at the end, gridlock the system with stupid Intellectual Property litigation and steal Linux from under its feet.

How that fable goes with a deadly critter seeking help to cross the body of water???? +1

gnuuser
Berserk

Postby gnuuser » 11 Sep 2015, 17:33

they will just burn their crapware and keyloggers codes on the chip so it cannot be disabled
same thing with some of HP,s new trash
bios is set to read the encryption code written on the official os disks and compare them to the keys stored in bios.
this way the computer will not boot up any linux disk unless the keys are removed! (and removing them voids the warranty)
this trash prevented me from recovering some important files on a failing drive for a friend
regardless of any new offer or innovation from the micro-sith empire or from crapple works i will never trust them!
you should have seen the look on the face of the apple rep that presented me with a new i phone when i told him to stick it where the sun don't shine :jackpot
registered Linux user number 505431
Amateur radio call sign KC3TEC
miracle (mere-ack-ull) :
the aspiration of the indigent, the expectation of the indolent, and the inspiration of the ignorant.

Im so old even dirt was my apprentice!

toryrutter

Postby toryrutter » 28 Feb 2023, 09:13

You're forgetting that Microsoft simply purchases innovation; they don't actually create anything of quality. Weaknesses in our productivity suite Buy Office now! There isn't a trustworthy video chat service here? Get Skype! Why isn't our Windows phone taken seriously? get a Nokia!
Thanks

Return to “Business”