MS Office for free - on phones and pads

Business as usual?

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

viking60
Über-Berserk

MS Office for free - on phones and pads

Postby viking60 » 07 Nov 2014, 15:57

Microsoft has slaughtered a holy cow and accepted that people expect free apps for their phones and apps. There was not much point in paying for MS Office when they could use Google docs.
This goes for the private market only and only for pads and phones. You can have MS Office for iOS,Android and Windows.

The corporate customers will still have to pay for it.

To Use it you need an Microsoft account, but you do not have to pay anything. Naturally it will work the best with Office 365 so that Microsoft get to host your data on their servers.
The privacy of this is questionable even if Microsoft has the best intentions.
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

R_Head
Berserk

Re: MS Office for free - on phones and pads

Postby R_Head » 07 Nov 2014, 20:13

I do not use Google docs and MS wants to safekeep my data... Yeah right.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 08 Nov 2014, 23:25

Yeah I guess leaving our data to US jurisdiction is not leaving it to the bad guys - but I don't want good guys watching me on the toilet either. :berserk2
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 28 Dec 2014, 21:47

Not to mention, why the hell would I want to use MS Office on my phone anyway, when there so many open-source alternatives that work so much better and aren't such huge programs for a phone, such as maybe this from earlier this year (although at the time it was huge; must get an update and see where it's at now).
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

Return to “Business”