Microsoft aquires Nokia for 5.44 billion euros

Business as usual?

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

viking60
Über-Berserk

Microsoft aquires Nokia for 5.44 billion euros

Postby viking60 » 03 Sep 2013, 11:15

It is official:
Microsoft is taking over Nokia's main handset business for 5,44 billion euros ($7.2 billion). This pretty much is a takeover of Nokia.
Nokia will continue to exist but it is unclear what their new core business will be:
Nokia, which will continue as a maker of networking equipment and holder of patents,

Analysts have seen this writing on the wall for quite some time, and Nokia shareholders have expressed their doubts regarding Windows 8 as their mobile platform.
Important shareholders urged the current CEO. Stephen Elop, to switch to Android or find something else to do. This might have been a smart way of pushing the prize of the Nokia shares.
Microsoft could not have taken such a loss of prestige in the mobile phone market.

Nokia was the biggest company in the world - a short while ago - and could have bought Microsoft. In Finland there might be mixed feelings about the sale of their former pride.

Elop's decision to go for Windows 8 and leaving the Nokia developed software behind, could not regain Nokia's former market shares.
On the other hand this was probably the last and only opportunity for the Nokia shareholders to sell their shares at a good prize.

in many ways this is the story of the raise and fall of Nokia.

It remains to be seen if Microsoft can manage what Nokia did not; to make a healthy profit out of mobile phones with Windows software.
Stephen Elop will be going back to his former employer - Microsoft - and lead the "expanded devices" team from there.

Microsoft is increasingly getting more and more involved with hardware, this might be a problem for their current customers who will be facing competition from their software supplier.

It is not likely that Microsoft will buy all of them..
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

R_Head
Berserk

Re: Microsoft aquires Nokia for 5.44 billion euros

Postby R_Head » 03 Sep 2013, 14:52

Let MS piss money away. They paid way too much for Skype already and is very crappy right now. They think they are going to pull an XBox and not so sure about that one either.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 03 Sep 2013, 15:03

Was just reading about this. As a friend says, "That's Nokia f*cked then!" :lol:
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 14 Sep 2013, 19:52

I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 14 Sep 2013, 20:10

I knew it ! Naturally that was the sensible thing to do for Nokia. Windows phones = 0 sale and Android= huge success. I am certain that Nokia could have regained some market shares with Android.

Microsoft could not risk that of course - so they had to buy Nokia.
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 18 Sep 2013, 02:43

Exactly.
No gods, no masters.

Return to “Business”