Google to buy Motorola

Business as usual?

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

viking60
Über-Berserk

Google to buy Motorola

Postby viking60 » 15 Aug 2011, 16:41

Google has made an offer for 12$ per share for Motorola's cell phone division.
That makes a total of 12,5 billion dollars.
A strategic move that has been accepted by the board in both companies. Clearly Android is the common strategic ground for the companies.
The stock exchange sent the value of Motorola up by a good 60 % and Google went down by 2.66 %.
That would indicate that Motorola is making the best deal here, But Google now has hardware for their products. That sounds extremely sensible to me, to avoid outside intervention from other major software producers.
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

R_Head
Berserk

Re: Google to buy Motorola

Postby R_Head » 15 Aug 2011, 20:51

That is an Apple venom. They could be in charge of their own hardware, make it work beautifully like the Apple Ecosystem. HP has Palm Web OS and also makes phone via Palm Division.

Now lets see how many OSs are floating around...

Blackberry (for now)
Apple
Palm Web OS
Android
Microsoft???

That is good competition and they are not related.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 15 Aug 2011, 21:00

Yes let us see some real competition outside the court room.
Also it is interesting that until now all of them had a hardware partner except Android. Now they are on equal terms.
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.

R_Head
Berserk

Postby R_Head » 16 Aug 2011, 12:26

I heard somewhere that Palm holds a "patent" for the Smart Phones since they are nothing more than a glorified PDA or lets say, Palm Pilot?

HP has a real ace under the sleeve if they decide to go thermonuclear with these stupid patents wars.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 16 Aug 2011, 12:51

R_Head wrote:I heard somewhere that Palm holds a "patent" for the Smart Phones since they are nothing more than a glorified PDA or lets say, Palm Pilot?

HP has a real ace under the sleeve if they decide to go thermonuclear with these stupid patents wars.

Yes that is the important thing these days; waging the cold war. Having an impressive patent arsenal is the name of the game. Sigh I remember in the good old days when software development was.....

I am sure someone will try to buy HP to be able to wave with that patent. On the other hand if it is a combined Software/hardware patent then I guess HP is the only one that is allowed to sell "Pads" and "Tabs".
That would be very bad for Apple and Google etc....
I almost hope HP goes ballistic: That would show the world (-Europe) that software patents are hopeless to manage. And that the development runs away from the intentions and the situation on the time of the patent.
No court has been able to foresee the technical development. So many of the patent rules are made for industrial machines in some kind of heavy production.
That could be managed but now it is completely out of control - simply because the legislation was not meant for this kind of situation.
And altering the laws will not help because it takes time and in that time the development already has run away from it - making it obsolete.

The situation being as it is Google has a major interest in the patents of Motorola too ofcourse.

R_Head
Berserk

Postby R_Head » 16 Aug 2011, 13:33

Patents should be an exclusivity for a very short term for a business to recuperate from its investment. When I mean short, I mean short. No patent shall be granted for just a sketch or just an idea without a fully working device. Some companies and people sit around thinking on crap and patenting nonsense with the hope someone comes with a working product to suck on the innovation. Those kinds of patents are absurd and should be punished.

All this is driven by Lawyers, they are the biggest bottom feeders ever. :f

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 19 Aug 2011, 13:13

Some good elaborations here]
(Thanks to R_Head)

R_Head
Berserk

Postby R_Head » 19 Aug 2011, 13:27

One thing that I will like to see, if they (HP and Google) free those patents as a world protection from lawyers trying to control the market with frivolous crap.

That will put a big dent in MS and Apple.

Return to “Business”