Smartphone market is growing rapidly

Business as usual?

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

viking60
Über-Berserk

Smartphone market is growing rapidly

Postby viking60 » 03 Apr 2011, 16:56

ImageThe world market for smartphones will grow about 50 % in 2011 according to IDC.
Translated to gadgets that would be about 450 million pieces. In 2010 it was 303 Million. And the trend is accelerating!
Android will be the leading Smartphone OS in 2011. The Merger between Nokia and Microsoft and the resulting combination of Nokia hardware and Microsoft software will have some short term success. Until 2015 windows phone could achieve a second place, behind Android.
But in order to manage this, there has to be some product on the market shortly! At the time being the Nokia-Windows-Smartphone is non existent. IDC stipulates them to be in the market in 2012.

Apple with the I-OS system will stay on 15 % and Symbian will die before 2015, also Blackberry will lose some market shares and end up with 14%

Good to know.
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Re: Smartphone market is growing rapidly

Postby dedanna1029 » 03 Apr 2011, 18:04

Yeah, it is good to know. Also makes us aware of who's spied on when with what kind of phone.

I still intend never to get one. You?
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 03 Apr 2011, 23:08

No with the EU data retention regulations I would only help "them" spying on me. Normal cell phones are bad enough.
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 04 Apr 2011, 03:26

Exactly. Ever wonder if turning off GPS on your regular cell phone really turns it off?
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

R_Head
Berserk

Postby R_Head » 04 Apr 2011, 21:40

RIM (Blackberry) has a different market is based more as a Corporate type of phone. The Blackberry integration and encryption is really good. Great support for the Enterprise. I truly like Blackberries they are great Hardware and very simple to use; just no much of a Entertainment type of phone.

MS IMHO is late to the party and the 1st launch with the 1st Update it bricked the phone; the only choice was to exchange the phone.

What Android need is 2 Flavors.

One that Google can control for Quality and Application purposes. Fragmentation is pretty rampant. Needs some control to ensure a smooth product. I am not saying that it has to be tighter than a Duck's Ass; just a Panel of Developers to ensure quality and for their services they can collect some cash; but still License Free. The other flavor is the one that people can modify and screw up as they wish. Call the controlled type Android and FreeDroid for the free one.

So if you look at it on the Red Hat point of view, they have Red Hat and Fedora; Mandriva? Free and Power Pack. There is nothing wrong for paying someone to ensure quality on the product (paying for service vs license).

The OS still Open but is controlled like Linus Torvalds does with the Kernel.

That model can work.

My take on Apple is that will go like a wet dream, once they set the bar, is hard to stay on top all the time. They just had success with some gadgets does not mean that will dominate forever.

Return to “Business”