Gnome wallpaper changer

Every day solutions to every day challenges. + Brilliant stuff

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

Forum rules
Please feel free to post your tip it does not have to be advanced. Also ask questions directly related to the tip here. But do not start new threads with questions or ask for help here. That is what the help section is for. forum rules: http://bjoernvold.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=568
viking60
Über-Berserk

Re: Gnome wallpaper changer

Postby viking60 » 15 Nov 2010, 10:59

The old one was called wp.jar so it was quite a jump there. You start it by running the gautobg-changer.sh in the GautoBG-Changer folder. (Man I broke my finger just writing this)
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

rvause
Viking

Postby rvause » 23 Nov 2010, 17:09

Done this one to death I think ( : but I recently switched to the xfce4 desktop as gnome was getting in my way a little. So I re-wrote my wallpaper changer script for my dual monitor setup and set to run on startup.

See: https://github.com/rvause/stuff/blob/master/randomwallpaper/wallpaper_changer_xfce4

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 23 Nov 2010, 17:33

Feel free to start a new thread (Xfce wallpaper changer?). Your tips are valid so there is no reason to be modest :D
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.

b1o
IT and IS Guru-Berserk

Postby b1o » 24 Nov 2010, 18:41

Nice one rvause. I might implement that in the gnome wallpaper changer, to widen the support
CPU: i7 950 3.1 ghz |RAM: 12 GB DDR3 |Graphics: Nvidia Geforce gtx 280 |motherboard: Rampage II Extreme |OS: Arch + windows7

Just remember, there is no such thing as a stupid question, until you ask it

rvause
Viking

Postby rvause » 08 Dec 2010, 17:46

this is bordering on an obsession now but here is an update to my gnome wallpaper changer. I wanted to try out argparse in python (It's not really as flexible as I had hoped but maybe I am missing something) but now it seems a little more sensible to use.

This runs without cron like "wallpaper_changer -b" and will update the wallpaper every 5 minutes.

https://github.com/rvause/stuff/blob/ma ... er_changer

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 08 Dec 2010, 18:34

I'll give it a spin - Keep up the obsessions! It's fun and interesting and something good is coming out of it. :B

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 12 Mar 2011, 10:10

b1o wrote:install jdk, it will uninstall openjdk/openjre, This will make it work, the openjdk has a problem with compiz. you can use compiz but then you need to turn off compiz, start the bg changer, then start compiz again... I found it easier to just get JRE/JDK from sun/oracle. i will try to get it working with openjdk next release.

And if you install jdk it will replace open jdk and netbeans won't be touched.(at least in arch it does)

The problem with compiz is that the openjdk hasn't included it in it's library as a desktop manager.

Yupp tried this after I roayly fubared my system by trying to extend the root partition with gparted (It won't work folks!). So I took the oracle jdk from the arch repos.
And this thing works just fine in Compiz. When I start it manually I get the tray icon but during automated startup java -jar <path> blabla.jar I don't get it in compiz. That is fine by me, because it is already configured and working. But to my suprise it turns up in KDE!? Ka farskæn?

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 04 May 2011, 19:21

Time to rewrite your stuff - it does not work in Gnome 3 :liar:
Edit:
Since no one rushed to our aid here is a perl script that works in Gnome3:

Code: Select all

#!/usr/bin/perl -w
use strict;
use warnings;
my $searchPath = '~/<your_wallpaper_directory>/';   # Set to the directory you want to have searched for photos
my $switchTime = 20;               # Edit to the number of seconds between photo switches
my @photos = `find $searchPath -type f | grep [jJ][pP][eE]*[gG]`;             
chomp(@photos);
my $photo;
while(1)
{
    $photo = $photos[rand($#photos)];
     `gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.background picture-uri "file:///$photo"`;
    sleep($switchTime);
}

Save it as wallpaper.pl and start it with

Code: Select all

perl wallpaper.pl

:A

Hmm I think this deserves a new thread

Return to “Tips & Tricks”