Manjaro/Arch - Octopi will not fire.

Every day solutions to every day challenges. + Brilliant stuff

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

Forum rules
Please feel free to post your tip it does not have to be advanced. Also ask questions directly related to the tip here. But do not start new threads with questions or ask for help here. That is what the help section is for. forum rules: http://bjoernvold.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=568
viking60
Über-Berserk

Manjaro/Arch - Octopi will not fire.

Postby viking60 » 03 Feb 2016, 17:21

Manjaro and Arch have this GUI frontend for pacman that suddenly stopped fireing
This application failed to start because it could not find or load the Qt platform plugin "xcb"

Well yeah great information there :berserkf what exactly am I to install? :confused
Reinstalling Octopi did not pull the needed xcb stuff either.

Then I remembered that I had removed my orphans

Code: Select all

pacman -Rs $(pacman -Qqdt)

So that would give me a clue.

Normally I think logs are for sissies but now I really needed to check what xcb stuff that was removed so I did a

cd /var/cache/pacman/pkg/

After some "ls-ing" I found two xcb related entries there that were no longer installed:
xcb-util-cursor and xcb-util-renderutil

Well since that was in the cache and the only stuff named xcb something - the rest was easy:
:A

sudo pacman -S xcb-util-cursor xcb-util-renderutil

And oh wonder: Octopi fired just fine. :jackpot
:A

So the lesson is: Removing orphans is true Berserk stuff that needs you to be awake :berserkf ... and checking the cache (chicken stuff) to fix the fubar is the medicine :oops:
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Re: Manjaro/Arch - Octopi will not fire.

Postby dedanna1029 » 04 Feb 2016, 19:14

Keeping the cache not cleared, or moving the files to an external drive from the cache is always a good thing. I do it with all my Linuxes.
If something is missing or not working properly, your hunch was right. auto orphans do it a lot.
Good job, as usual.
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

jemadux
Viking

Postby jemadux » 26 Sep 2019, 20:42

in manjaro you should use pamac

for comand line i prefer pacui + yay :tux5:

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 21 Oct 2019, 13:55

I think Octopi is just fine especially if you are using QT5. But it is different from Pamac so a compare is not really "fair".
In Norwegian the Octopi translation is so much better than Pamac so that allone is reason to use it here.
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

jemadux
Viking

Postby jemadux » 14 Sep 2020, 23:28

btw now i am using pacui
have added also the flatpak and snapd to upgrade .
https://github.com/excalibur1234/pacui
its feels like home
in any desktop i have installed pamac-aur to track the updates
and then i am going to pacui

Return to “Tips & Tricks”