Isohybrid

Every day solutions to every day challenges. + Brilliant stuff

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

Forum rules
Please feel free to post your tip it does not have to be advanced. Also ask questions directly related to the tip here. But do not start new threads with questions or ask for help here. That is what the help section is for. forum rules: http://bjoernvold.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=568
viking60
Über-Berserk

Isohybrid

Postby viking60 » 22 Nov 2015, 12:44

Sometimes we need to transfer our downloaded iso's to USB dongles. Laptops today frequently do not have DVD drives so we need to boot "LiveCD's" from USB.

To manage this; the iso image needs to be a hybrid.

Our viking.iso is such a hybrid which means that we can use dd to "burn" it to a dongle.

To check if an image file is a hybrid you can do a:

Code: Select all

fdisk -l viking.iso

If the resulting lines contain the iso name - in this case viking.iso - then it is a hybrid! +1
If the iso is not a hybrid you can use isohybrid to turn any iso image into a hybrid.

So the next thing is to bring it on to our USB dongle then:

sudo dd if=viking.iso of=/dev/sdb bs=4k

if means in-file of is out-file and bs=4 is not necessary but it speeds up the process considerably. /dev/sdb is the address of the usb dongle which you can find with a simple

fdisk -l

You can also use

lsblk
or

ls /dev/sd*

Make sure you unmount the usb before you "burn" your image to it:

umount /dev/sdb

Once this is done you can dd your iso to the usb dongle. Make sure you have the right location because dd will format your USB. :tux5:

There are tools to help you with this like Rufus and Unetbootin
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Re: Isohybrid

Postby dedanna1029 » 04 Feb 2016, 19:18

Curious, how necessary is bs=4k in the DD command?
I have always done it without it.
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

viking60
Über-Berserk

Re: Isohybrid

Postby viking60 » 05 Feb 2016, 01:15

It is not necessary it just speeds up things.
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

Return to “Tips & Tricks”