FCIV

Every day solutions to every day challenges. + Brilliant stuff

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

Forum rules
Please feel free to post your tip it does not have to be advanced. Also ask questions directly related to the tip here. But do not start new threads with questions or ask for help here. That is what the help section is for. forum rules: http://bjoernvold.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=568
dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

FCIV

Postby dedanna1029 » 28 Sep 2015, 22:21

FCIV is a command-line utility for Windows to check the md5sum or sha1 of files. I use it to verify downloads of Linux .iso files to verify them, although this utility can be used for any file.

Its installation is simple, and it is easy to use even for the newbie to Windows. sha1, as most know, is the best way to verify a file, but md5sum is a quick off-the-cuff way to do it. I've used both with FCIV here:

Although the utility is not *officially* supported by Microsoft, they support it enough to put it up at their site, and host it as a download with installation instructions, and instructions on how to use it. It's the one thing Microsoft does right. :jackpot

Everything you need for it, download, installation instructions, how to use it, the works is here.

Edit: **Limitations: For sha, it only verifies sha1. It doesn't verify sha256. There is Raymond's utility for that.
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

viking60
Über-Berserk

Re: FCIV

Postby viking60 » 29 Sep 2015, 17:49

Thanks! :s
To make it work everywhere in the cmd window you can type:

Code: Select all

set path=%path%;c:\fciv

This will make it work without navigating to C:\fciv first.
This makes it possible to stand in the folder where your iso is and typing the command so that you do not have to specify that long path to it.

This will be gone after a reboot :(

To make it permanent

Select 'System' from the Control Panel, selecting the 'Advanced' tab, the 'Environment Variables' button and then finding the PATH
Add this at the end:

;C:\fciv

PS this naturally means that you have extracted fciv to C:\fciv

You really should do this because you will forget where fciv is +1

After that you can simply do a

fciv viking.iso
wherever you are :-D (Or wherever that download is)
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 29 Sep 2015, 20:05

Thank you for that! :)
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 29 Sep 2015, 22:02

It might be possible to make it stick with a command in cmd
:A
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3851&view=unread#unread
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 30 Sep 2015, 22:10

Aye, I saw that. Good job. :)
No gods, no masters.

Return to “Tips & Tricks”