Autenthication error after having created new user

Every day solutions to every day challenges. + Brilliant stuff

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

Forum rules
Please feel free to post your tip it does not have to be advanced. Also ask questions directly related to the tip here. But do not start new threads with questions or ask for help here. That is what the help section is for. forum rules: http://bjoernvold.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=568
viking60
Über-Berserk

Autenthication error after having created new user

Postby viking60 » 22 Oct 2014, 11:42

If you delete a user and create a new one in Linux it can happen that you get this message when the new user is logged in:

Code: Select all

passwd: User not known to the underlying authentication module

It happened to me in Arch. :berserk2

So it seems like some old data were left on the box. The new user was auto logged in, but I always got that annoying warning. That is an indication that something is wrong +1 (even if everything works).

So to fix it, I simply re-installed pam (rather than looking for corrupted files in /etc/pam.d/).

Code: Select all

sudo pacman -S pam

PAM stands for Pluggable Authentication Modules and provides dynamic authentication support for applications and services in a Linux system.

That took care of it :smug
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

Return to “Tips & Tricks”