Docky panel - "startbutton" trick

Every day solutions to every day challenges. + Brilliant stuff

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

Forum rules
Please feel free to post your tip it does not have to be advanced. Also ask questions directly related to the tip here. But do not start new threads with questions or ask for help here. That is what the help section is for. forum rules: http://bjoernvold.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=568
viking60
Über-Berserk

Docky panel - "startbutton" trick

Postby viking60 » 01 Sep 2013, 12:22

I like docky in panelmode. It is "cleaner" than cairo-dock. But one thing has annoyed me:
That docky anchor stays on the far left no matter what! In my mind that is a spot for launching programs :arrogant:

I get that the anchor is the docky "branding", but the function of the button is only to configure docky, which you also get by simply right-clicking docky.
(Actually you can change the icon though - but that is another tip).

It would be nice if I could make that anchor display a program menu with a search function - and I found a way:

I needed to install gconf-editor (it will be in your repos). I opened it by clicking ALT+F2 and typing gconf-editor.
Then navigate to:
apps->docky-2->Docky->Items->DockyItem

Left-click on DockyItemCommand and enter the menu or program you want to start.
In this case I chose to start xfce4-appfinder

Problem solved :dance:
Here is a pic of my Openbox desktop with xfce4-appfinder attached to the Docky Anchor Icon
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

viking60
Über-Berserk

Re: Docky panel - "startbutton" trick

Postby viking60 » 01 Sep 2013, 13:02

Lately Docky has given us the option to remove the anchor alltogether.
This should take care of it (remember you need to have gconf-editor installed.)

Code: Select all

gconftool-2 --type Boolean --set /apps/docky-2/Docky/Items/DockyItem/ShowDockyItem False

That way all your docky icons are "dragable" so you can rearrange them whenever you feel like it (The Anchor is the only one that cannot be dragged).

If you want the anchor back simply do a:

Code: Select all

gconftool-2 --type Boolean --set /apps/docky-2/Docky/Items/DockyItem/ShowDockyItem True

You need to restart Docky to se the effect.
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Re: Docky panel - "startbutton" trick

Postby dedanna1029 » 03 Sep 2013, 15:34

ooooooo... think I'll try this after I do reinstalls! :)
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

Return to “Tips & Tricks”