Check out your browser security:

Every day solutions to every day challenges. + Brilliant stuff

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

Forum rules
Please feel free to post your tip it does not have to be advanced. Also ask questions directly related to the tip here. But do not start new threads with questions or ask for help here. That is what the help section is for. forum rules: http://bjoernvold.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=568
viking60
Über-Berserk

Check out your browser security:

Postby viking60 » 13 Aug 2013, 11:33

You think you have set your browser to be dead secure?

You are confident that it is in anti-spy mode?

Or maybe you are just a little bit in doubt?

You can check it here

Great when fine tuning the settings in your browser +1
It will show what your browser shares with other sites.
What fingerprints does your browser leave behind as you surf the web?

Traditionally, people assume they can prevent a website from identifying them by disabling cookies on their web browser. Unfortunately, this is not the whole story.

When you visit a website, you are allowing that site to access a lot of information about your computer's configuration. Combined, this information can create a kind of fingerprint — a signature that could be used to identify you and your computer. Some companies are already using technology to try to identify individual computers. But how effective would this kind of online tracking be?

EFF is running an experiment to find out. Panopticlick will anonymously log the configuration and version information from your operating system, your browser, and your plug-ins, and compare it to our database of many other Internet users' configurations. Then, it will give you a uniqueness score — letting you see how easily identifiable you might be as you surf the web.

Adding your information to our database will help EFF evaluate the capabilities of Internet tracking and advertising companies, who are in the business of finding as many ways as possible to record your online activities. They develop these methods in secret, and don't always tell the world what they've found. But this experiment should give us more insight into the future of online tracking, and what web users can do to protect themselves.

My browser was unique among more than 3 million tested - I feel so special 8-)

And that means that my browser is not very privacy minded - I don't want it to have a unique fingerprint :wall:

I felt a bit better after having tested Tor - it also has a unique fingerprint but it has a different IP - so it is not mine :-D
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

Return to “Tips & Tricks”