Easiest way to make a movie of my desktop

Every day solutions to every day challenges. + Brilliant stuff

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

Forum rules
Please feel free to post your tip it does not have to be advanced. Also ask questions directly related to the tip here. But do not start new threads with questions or ask for help here. That is what the help section is for. forum rules: http://bjoernvold.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=568
viking60
Über-Berserk

Easiest way to make a movie of my desktop

Postby viking60 » 24 Jun 2013, 18:27

Yes I have recordmydesktop and xvidcap but they can both be somewhat annoying.
I never figured out how to make the music come on to my videos, among other things.
So I tested out a mpeg solution in the CLI with very good results.
This was done on Manjaro so I did not have to install anything.

I opened pavucontrol (pulse audio volume control) to be able to share the music played on my computer during the "shoot".

Then I checked my resolution with

Code: Select all

inxi -G
to make sure that all of my desktop was recorded.

Then I went to my Videoclip directory and entered this command:

sudo ffmpeg -f alsa -i default -f x11grab -s 1920x1200 -r 30 -i :0.0 -qscale 0 filename.mpg

It will will generate a video called filename.mpg. Replace 1920x1200 with your resolution.

To make sure my desktop sound is shared I had to set pavucontrol to Monitor built in of Audi Analog stereo in the Recording tab.

This is not easy you say?

Eh well no - I am coming to that part:
I made myself an alias:

alias makemovie='sudo ffmpeg -f alsa -i default -f x11grab -s 1920x1200 -r 30 -i :0.0 -qscale 0 filename.mpg'

So now I only have to write makemovie everytime I want to record my desktop. And I hit "q" when I want to stop.

It is as easy as that +1

Video coming up....
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

viking60
Über-Berserk

Re: Easiest way to make a movie of my desktop

Postby viking60 » 24 Jun 2013, 22:08

Manjaro openbox I uploaded it as avi
:A

Looks like that music stunt of mine makes the video lag a bit though. It might be my connection which is lousy today...
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 25 Jun 2013, 00:02

Here I have uploaded a mpg video to Youtube. This quality is good!

Ah I just saw the message that the video is blocked in some countries on account of the music.... I was only presenting my desktop playing the radio - like any of you can with Clementine.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 27 Jun 2013, 22:05

Blocked=censored.
Any excuse is better than none for them to do it (for them).
I've had three blocked due to their censoring crapola (yep, for the music). I even stated that the artist/companies own the rights to the music, and they still blocked it.

Thus ended my youtube career. Between that and the fact that flash is crap any more, I'm not putting up with it. Am in the process of finding another video site to use.
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 28 Jun 2013, 00:33

Vimeo is good - but slow.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 28 Jun 2013, 01:44

Yeah, and there's anohter one that a friend uses. Can't remember which one it is now. I'll see if I can find out.

Keep on with the youtube, but know that I can't see the videos. :( Flash crashes at first sight of them, even after a reload.

So, I'm waiting for an update (or to see if about a rollback) to fix it.
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 07 Nov 2013, 14:57

I have been playing around with html5 lately and the only video format that will show up in both Chromium and Firefox - with the <video> tag is webm.
So it makes sense to make an alias for that format.

alias webm='sudo ffmpeg -f alsa -i default -f x11grab -s 1920x1200 -r 30 -i :0.0 -qscale 0 -strict -2 aaa.webm'

Return to “Tips & Tricks”