Disabling touchpad

Every day solutions to every day challenges. + Brilliant stuff

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

Forum rules
Please feel free to post your tip it does not have to be advanced. Also ask questions directly related to the tip here. But do not start new threads with questions or ask for help here. That is what the help section is for. forum rules: http://bjoernvold.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=568
viking60
Über-Berserk

Disabling touchpad

Postby viking60 » 07 Oct 2012, 11:15

To me the Touchpad on the laptop is an deliberate attempt to torture men when I am writing - say here.
I suddenly paste in stuff from the clipboard and stuff gets moved around so It looks like crap. Now in Gnome 3 there is this great extension that disables your Touchpad when you have an external mouse connected.
It can be turned of in KDE too (somehow :-D )
But I have gone lightweight lately and droped them both for standalone Openbox Window Manager.
So here i am writing cryptic %&#ApflStru?dl posts copying and deleting and moving things around because my wrist always touches the Touchpad. :berserkf

I have a Synaptics input driver, as do most laptops, so this command should work on most laps:

Code: Select all

xinput set-prop 13 "Device Enabled" 0

And oh joy - your Touchpad is disabled :B Now this is the lazy method it can be set with palm detection so that it is only disabled while you type.

Maybe I will get around to that too -some day.....

Anyway in Openbox we have this great autostart file ~/.config/openbox/autostart
so I just added

Code: Select all

xinput set-prop 13 "Device Enabled" 0 &

So that the Touchpad is disabled every-time Openbox starts (I always use an external mouse with a mini dongle). The observant reader might have caught that it is not a good idea to activate this command without an external mouse... :-D

Or you can simply type the command every time you want to disable the Touchpad - it will be back when you log out and back in again.
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

Return to “Tips & Tricks”