inxi system info made easy

Every day solutions to every day challenges. + Brilliant stuff

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

Forum rules
Please feel free to post your tip it does not have to be advanced. Also ask questions directly related to the tip here. But do not start new threads with questions or ask for help here. That is what the help section is for. forum rules: http://bjoernvold.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=568
dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Re: inxi system info made easy

Postby dedanna1029 » 15 Mar 2013, 00:59

Nice.

There are files that will work without the extension. For instance, I just ran dmesg >dmesg and dmesg >dmesg.txt both, with same outputs.

I think it depends on what you're outputting from, and what you're doing, but I always put the .txt on there anyway, just in case.
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

viking60
Über-Berserk

inxi weather tip

Postby viking60 » 08 Oct 2013, 13:46

As we all know you cannot provide system support without knowing how the weather is :snooty:
Inxi takes care of this too :-D If you do a

Code: Select all

inxi -w
it should give you the weather at your location (Well because naturally you are to busy to look out of the window).

To check out the weather in other parts of the world you need to specify some more like this;

inxi -W oslo,norway

So apparently this is the weather here:
Conditions: 61 F (16 C) - Mostly Cloudy Time: October 8, 2:23 PM CEST
Now let us have a look at Sunny California:

inxi -W san+fransisco,CA

Weather: Conditions: 55 F (13 C) - Partly Cloudy Time: October 8, 5:32 AM PDT
Or the world famous Portales in New Mexico:

inxi -W portales,NM

Weather: Conditions: 50 F (10 C) - Clear Time: October 8, 6:31 AM MDT

Hey! it is warmer in Oslo :B (Well not that surprising at 2,23PM in Oslo and 5,32 AM in San Fransisco :-D )

Double names like San Fransisco and New York cannot have spaces so they must be filled out with a +
Hm I wonder how the weather is on the Canary Islands:

inxi -W las+palmas,spain

Weather: Conditions: 73 F (23 C) - Scattered Clouds Time: October 8, 7:42 AM EST
Yeah that's more like it.
Some distros have chosen to disable this feature so if it does not work - thats why.
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

jkerr82508
Guru-Berserk

Postby jkerr82508 » 09 Oct 2013, 01:25

Thanks for the hints. Here's what I get:

inxi -w
Weather:   Conditions: 63 F (17 C) - Mostly Cloudy Time: October 9, 1:14 AM BST

Which is obviously not my local weather as shown when I use the nearest major weather station

inxi -W edinburgh,uk
Weather:   Conditions: 52 F (11 C) - Partly Cloudy Time: October 9, 1:15 AM BST

and the explanation is:

inxi -xxx -w
Weather:  Conditions: 63 F (17 C) - Mostly Cloudy Wind: From the West at 9 MPH Humidity: 72%
           Pressure: 30.24 in (1024 mb) Location: None None (GBR) Altitude: 14 ft
           Time: October 9, 1:15 AM BST (Europe/London) Observation Time: October 9, 12:50 AM BST

I assume that London is where my ISP's servers are located.

Jim

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 09 Oct 2013, 08:08

Ah good to have our oracle berserk back with interesting inputs +1
I get an accurate location when I do an

inxi -xxx -w

Weather: Conditions: 48 F (9 C) - Scattered Clouds Wind: From the SSW at 7 MPH Humidity: 87%
Pressure: 29.59 in (1002 mb) Location: Valhalla 01 (NOR) Altitude: 60 ft
Time: October 9, 8:34 AM CEST (Europe/Oslo) Observation Time: October 9, 8:20 AM CEST

This is exactly right while my server is nowhere near here :think:
It might have something to do with how the ISP's are organizing this or maybe where the weather stations are.
..Or maybe all accounts go via the big GCHQ server in London :twisted:

(You know if the scottish get to have their own weather - they will be rioting for independence next. These things have to be controlled :lol: )

If I make an error with the location inxi seems to anticipate that the place is somewhere in America (or wherever MDT is - but that is also the server location so you might have a point):

[thomas@heidi-lap ~]$ inxi  -W hamburg,DE
Weather:   Conditions: 30 F (-1 C) - Partly Cloudy Time: October 9, 1:02 AM MDT

Now this is hardly the case in Hamburg germany and MDT is not the correct timezone
This is probably correct though:

[thomas@heidi-lap ~]$ inxi  -W hamburg,germany
Weather:   Conditions: 57 F (14 C) - Mostly Cloudy Time: October 9, 9:01 AM CEST

CEST timezone indicates that this is in central europe
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

Return to “Tips & Tricks”