Universal search tip

Every day solutions to every day challenges. + Brilliant stuff

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

Forum rules
Please feel free to post your tip it does not have to be advanced. Also ask questions directly related to the tip here. But do not start new threads with questions or ask for help here. That is what the help section is for. forum rules: http://bjoernvold.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=568
viking60
Über-Berserk

Universal search tip

Postby viking60 » 23 Nov 2011, 13:34

If you want to search forums or website content in general you do not have to use the more or less user friendly search functions - if they exist.
Here is a tip to search the page that you are on (not the entire site).
Hit:
<CTRL>+F
And a nice search field will pop up.
Write your search word and all occurrences of that word will be highlighted.
You can also write an entire sentence and it will be highlighted.
In Firefox the search field will appear at the bottom.
(If you already knew that, you should have written a tip here long ago! +1 Shame on you for leaving me in the dark for so long :-D )
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

R_Head
Berserk

Re: Universal search tip

Postby R_Head » 23 Nov 2011, 17:01

I knew that :lol:

Ctrl+T opens a new tab and where you type the URL just type the name of the site like "google" and hit Ctrl+Enter, that will add the ".com" and will go on its own.
Ctrl+Tab will create a Pager on a Tab keep the Ctrl key held, use the mouse to choose what Tab to view or scroll with the Page Up or Down keys.

There is one Ctrl or Alt combo that adds the ".net" on the URL, cannot remember at this moment.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 24 Nov 2011, 15:50

See? You can do it too :-D
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 03 Dec 2011, 21:32

I knew that too. Thought everyone knew?
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 04 Dec 2011, 00:26

I get it!
Everyone knows everything - that is why you don't write tips :-D
But as a simple minded foreigner you can safely assume that I don't know it. So feel free to write down tips you know about (Well obviously not the ones you do not know about).
We can always move them to Linux education if it is so easy that even I know about it.

Return to “Tips & Tricks”