Making my HP Photosmart c5180 scanner work

Every day solutions to every day challenges. + Brilliant stuff

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

Forum rules
Please feel free to post your tip it does not have to be advanced. Also ask questions directly related to the tip here. But do not start new threads with questions or ask for help here. That is what the help section is for. forum rules: http://bjoernvold.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=568
viking60
Über-Berserk

Making my HP Photosmart c5180 scanner work

Postby viking60 » 27 Sep 2011, 10:24

For some reason I could not get HPLip to pop in Arch. I have on several occasions been able to set up my scanner there.
I have this cheap all in one Printer/scanner HP-Photosmart c5100 series. As I have stated the drivers are installed with hplip. Now I wanted to use Gimp for scanning so I installed sane and did a:

Code: Select all

sane-find-scanner
and it found my scanner:

found USB scanner (vendor=0x03f0 [HP], product=0x5811 [Photosmart C5100 series]) at libusb:002:006

Together with a lot of other stuff I simply ignored.
Now the real test for finding your hardware in sane is scanimage-L and I came up with a blank there :(
OK We know the HW is there and can be found, so I added myself (my user) to the scanner group.
Trying again.... and still a blank :berserk2
Having a look at the config file:

sudo nano /etc/sane.d/dll.conf

And there at the very bottom of the file hpaio was commented out like this:

#hpaio

I uncommented it (If it is not there you must add it for HP scanners to work):

hpaio

That toke care of it:

[viking@viking60-server ~]$ scanimage -L
device `hpaio:/usb/Photosmart_C5100_series?serial=MY78GQ91K104MK' is a Hewlett-Packard Photosmart_C5100_series all-in-one

Then I installed xsane and xsane-gimp which is the sane GUI.
Over to Gimp and picked the now present Xsane: Device dialog under file->create
and I could pick my scanner and simply start scanning.
ImageImage

PS: This has nothing to do with the printer setup. The printer has been set up (and working) in Cups for ages. This is all about getting that scanner to work.
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

Return to “Tips & Tricks”