Turning on and of the numeric pad in Gnome

Every day solutions to every day challenges. + Brilliant stuff

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

Forum rules
Please feel free to post your tip it does not have to be advanced. Also ask questions directly related to the tip here. But do not start new threads with questions or ask for help here. That is what the help section is for. forum rules: http://bjoernvold.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=568
viking60
Über-Berserk

Turning on and of the numeric pad in Gnome

Postby viking60 » 03 Mar 2011, 11:57

I had this friend (a cat) who turned of my Numpad so I was without it for some weeks so I better write this down:
To turn on and of the Numeric Keyboard in Gnome - use the following combination:
<CTRL>+<SHIFT>+<Num Lock>
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

jkerr82508
Guru-Berserk

Re: Turning on and of the numeric pad in Gnome

Postby jkerr82508 » 03 Mar 2011, 14:40

I don't understand. Are you saying that pressing the NumLock button alone does not function? On my box NumLock toggles the numeric keypad on and off. It's always on when I login and so I never actually have to use the NumLock button.

Jim

edit: I've just seen your other post about your weird keyboard. Now I understand. :)

second edit: I'm really slow today :) Ctrl-Shift-NumLock disables/re-enables the NumPad totally, which is what you wrote, if I'd read carefully enough. :)

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 03 Mar 2011, 16:10

Yes.
What confused me was that the NumLock key does not work at all, after pressing that combination. The Num Lock lamp is on and still no Numbers.
So to make the Num Lock button work I had to press that combination first.
Edit:
BTW Gizmos other specialty is to make desktop snapshots (yesterday he made 50), and he is not even one year old - talk about genius. :lol:
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 03 Mar 2011, 18:55

Sent you a tip on this in the thread for it down in Hardware.
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

Return to “Tips & Tricks”