Google attacks Apple

Not the Beatles record company. Not the fruit.. What could it be...

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

viking60
Über-Berserk

Google attacks Apple

Postby viking60 » 20 Mar 2010, 00:23

"The iPhone vision of the mobile Internet’s future omits controversy, sex, and freedom, but includes strict limits on who can know what and who can say what. It’s a sterile Disney-fied walled garden surrounded by sharp-toothed lawyers. The people who create the apps serve at the landlord’s pleasure and fear his anger.

I hate it."
Tim Bray
Former Sun/Oracle employee who has switched to Google.
Tim Bray about Google/Apple
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Re: Google attacks Apple

Postby dedanna1029 » 20 Mar 2010, 01:34

The only issue with that, that I have, is, right off the bat:
Google and I have been a plausible match for a long time. Web-centric, check. Search, check. Open-source, check.

I myself do not consider Google as Open Source. I consider that they are Open Source advocates at times, and that they support Open Source in a way, but I do not consider Google to be Open Source.

Check removed.
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 20 Mar 2010, 01:55

Yes I see your point. I have been a Google skeptic since they went in to China. But I see signs of improvement. I am in a more positive state of "wait and see" now. Someone has to fight Apple and Microsoft on behalf of open source.
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 20 Mar 2010, 02:01

Sure, but no one will, until they see enough of their users stand up and say, "I'm not going to put up with the spying crap any more, and won't use google until they stop."

I mean, I admit, for search for me, it's google all the way. I'm coming at it from a point of view of "what site doesn't spy on us any more?"
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 20 Mar 2010, 02:08

Agreed - Google stop spying on us! And while you are doing that; eat an Apple and kick some MS but!

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 20 Mar 2010, 02:20

:lol: 8-)
No gods, no masters.

R_Head
Berserk

Postby R_Head » 23 Mar 2010, 12:40

I use Google as Search Engine and for some e-mail. Do not do any social networking or anything like it. So when that Google buzz came up it was disable in the spot. I have other e-mails accounts for other things. I give them credit, Google Docs, it served me well for a few day while I was job hunting.

There are other search engines like Altavista, Ask and Lycos.

As far Bing and Yahoo... they can shove it :lol:

iceycooler9
Viking

Postby iceycooler9 » 25 Mar 2010, 06:20

i am boycotting Google. Their whole company seems a little scary, creepy, arrogant, and weird. Yes, most websites do spy now, but not like Google. When i was at school and on google search i got a popup from the search engine "Google would like to know where you live" and i showed it to the classmate sitting at the computer next to one i was at, they thought it was weird as well. I got that a couple of times as well.

their CEO is a weirdo, and i HATE him.

also with things like chrome, "andriod" "me want your privacy" "do no evil". I hope somehow there is something that comes up that is just going to kill Google fast. There are already rumors that Microsoft and Apple might team up together. But for that matter i use Bing or Yahoo currently, never getting an andriod crap or the nexus one p.o.s for that matter either, cutting back on usage of youtube and only viewing if i have to, and the list goes on.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 25 Mar 2010, 12:44

Yes there are many reasons to be sceptic about Google. I could not tollerate the censorship in China. Google has done something about it. So I guess I am willing to give everybody a second chance :P
They have atractive services too. But don't use any of them until you are sure of what you are doing.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 25 Mar 2010, 14:31

What percentage of spying does it have to be before people call it wrong? Spying is spying is spying. Even if you spy just a little, it makes no difference. You're still doing it. You're still collecting information that no one gave you permission to collect. If we boycott google, then we need to be boycotting everyone. Shut down your computer, because the internet is no place for you.

I will not stop using the best search engine that exists, just because they do something everyone else does anyway.

For that matter, yahoo/AT&T, Comcast, the list goes on... they're worse in a lot of regards to me than google!

Get the admission from your own ISP,,, mine spies, and was on the list when AT&T and other companies were found out (google was in that list, too) that they were spying,,, who you gonna call now to be your ISP, Ghostbusters?
No gods, no masters.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 25 Mar 2010, 16:17

It is very frustrating: But you are absolutely right about this. The medicine is not to give in though.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 25 Mar 2010, 19:57

My point is that if you boycott, you seriously will have to boycott everyone. One small incident of someone spying on you is equally as bad as any other incident; we either have to put up with it or not be online.

Or, you can choose to use the services, and have some ground to stand on. "I've been using google search for years, and am here to complain that google now spies on me when I just run a search. I do not feel that this is right for reasons stated below,," OR... "Hello, ISP, I recently found out that you spy on your customers. I've been a customer of yours for years now, and do not feel the spying to be right. Please remove that 'feature' of my service, or I shall have to remove my account, and release what you are doing to the public. I found five intrusions by you to my computer so far; here are the particulars (ad nauseum), and I do not appreciate this one bit, for reasons stated below." OR... "I'm a google user. Hey, everyone, let's get up a petition, get some 500 million signatures on the thing, and submit to google,,," Something along those lines. But if you boycott, then you best boycott everyone. Why make google out to be the worst thing since satan, when everyone does it?

I myself don't really care about the spying; if they want my bills, they're damn sure welcome to them, so long as they pay them in a timely manner.
No gods, no masters.

Return to “Apple”