Test: Linux is much faster than OSX

Not the Beatles record company. Not the fruit.. What could it be...

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

viking60
Über-Berserk

Test: Linux is much faster than OSX

Postby viking60 » 07 May 2015, 17:06

Phoronix has tested Mac Vs Several Linux distros.
The Conclusion is that Linux is faster in every aspect of the test with the exception of Compiling Imagemagick.
Linux largely dominating over OS X Yosemite with a Haswell-based MacBook Air.

And this goes for all the Linux variants in the test. Ubuntu Fedora and OpenSUSE.

Just have a look at the disk transaction process:
That is significant and so it goes on an on.

So Linux should definitely be more expensive than an OSX computer - like Mac.

Imagine how many people who would sleep in front of a Linux computer shop - if it only would exist.. :-D ..

More here
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

Snorkasaurus
Berserk

Re: Test: Linux is much faster than OSX

Postby Snorkasaurus » 07 May 2015, 17:23

Be sure to let me know when Linux can come even close to the same performance as XP at running Guild Wars. :-)
S.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 07 May 2015, 17:42

I dunno about Guild Wars - but I believe you.

Windows has been the best at gaming all the time but even that is slowly changing.

Team Fortress2 is great in Linux. and Valve the biggest Game producer in the world is going for Linux consoles.
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.

Snorkasaurus
Berserk

Postby Snorkasaurus » 07 May 2015, 18:42

viking60 wrote:I dunno about Guild Wars - but I believe you.

Windows has been the best at gaming all the time but even that is slowly changing.

I would say that people interested in gaming are better off getting a console like XBox or Playstation or whatever... they are designed for games and they do a better job than PC's at a fraction of the cost.

viking60 wrote:Team Fortress2 is great in Linux. and Valve the biggest Game producer in the world is going for Linux consoles.

Guild Wars is simply a different game. The max character level is 20 and the weapons/armour all max out low as well. There is an absolutely colossal amount of skill balancing that has gone in to GW and as a result the entire (PvE) game is about creating builds of only eight skills at a time and knowing how to play those builds well. I don't play PvP or first person games and every other RPG type game out there is based on getting gear, not about playing builds. I've tried a parade of games to try to ween myself off Guild Wars but have never found anything decent. It has been a long time since I tried Valve/Steam but remember thinking that I should avoid them like a bad itch.
S.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 08 May 2015, 09:05

Yeah and Linux is still Better and faster than OSX :-D

We need to leave those Windows guys and Windows alone sometimes: They love Linux now so they must be thrilled over this too. :lol:

They still are the kings of PC gaming and have always been (but are getting heavily challenged there too these days).

Return to “Apple”