Apple will give a press conference on Sept 9.

Not the Beatles record company. Not the fruit.. What could it be...

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

viking60
Über-Berserk

Apple will give a press conference on Sept 9.

Postby viking60 » 09 Aug 2014, 11:38

In classical Apple's style they are announcing an unspecified press conference on Sept 9. Since there is no certain content the press will be speculating wildly and give Apple Billions worth of marketing.

All in good Apple tradition - and it is a brilliant marketing strategy; one that Apple masters completely.

As we know; Apple is one of the most innovative companies in the world and has invented the square with rounded corners. :B
(Other Apple inventions here)

Apple will launch new iPhones, according to "persons familiar with the matter", and they will have large screens of 4,7" and 5.5".

Apple does report great sales for the existing iPhones so they are not forced to present new iPhones.

Or maybe people want to ensure that they can have a smartphone that still goes in the pocket - before the "hand bag" phones take over. :think:
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

R_Head
Berserk

Re: Apple will give a press conference on Sept 9.

Postby R_Head » 09 Aug 2014, 17:50

Whoopy - Do... A big apple and a little apple...

They are so overrated.

viking60
Über-Berserk

The Apple watch

Postby viking60 » 10 Sep 2014, 13:50

So after having had people line up for this great event; Apple basically announced the Apple watch. This watch will easily integrate with newer iPhones and ,serve as a remote control for the AppleTV (does anyone have an Apple TV?)
It will be a comprehensive "health and fitness device". Apple is taking the plunge into "wearables"
Because you wear it, we invented new intimate ways to connect and communicate directly from your wrist.

The new thing is basically that you will be wearing the device. Considering how difficult it is to get an iPad or a smartphone into the pocket; that really is new.
In the old days you could actually forget to take your smart-phone with you - and that would leave Apple in the dark regarding your whereabouts.

That was rude and did leave Apple in an uncomfortable spot since they had promised their friend and Big Brother to keep track of exactly that....

The smart-watches look pretty decent too so you will most likely wear them all the time.

You can have one for 350$.
But....you need an iPhone to make it work... :think: basically you have to wear your iPhone too then.

Apple did not bring anything new to the market. Samsung has already presented a smart-watch and others have presented the idea too.
It is likely that Apple will beat them on design - they have to - but there is nothing new to it.
What they emphasized though was the software - and it is most likely only a matter of time before Google will wipe their floor with Apple in that department.
This was nothing like Steve Jobs in his prime.

more here
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.

R_Head
Berserk

Postby R_Head » 10 Sep 2014, 15:30

I see no innovation, just a hyped Timex Datalink watch. I used to have 2 of them and back then was a cool gadget and is approved by NASA for space travel. Even Cosmonauts used them.

Was nothing new.

The NFC crap to pay for goods has been done. Shell used to call it Wave and Pay, American Express had it. They all got rid of it because the card broadcasted the info, just like that one will do to initiate the link.

That presentation was like the Apple commercial in 1984...
Last edited by R_Head on 10 Sep 2014, 23:26, edited 1 time in total.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 10 Sep 2014, 22:32

I see a refreshing worry here that this gadget is going to ruin privacy.
Now Apple will know your pulse and a lot about your health condition too. and some people don't like that. Your blood pressure and pulse etc can be used by medical personal to save you, but it can be abused and get hacked and lost.
In the end all of the wrong people could be watching your health status, so get ready to get blackmailed about your impotency or venereal diseases. :pray:

This is also addressed in the US. If you start to wear the stuff and let it take over your finances and monitor your bodily functions - then you must be very naive.
Apple has no history that have made them earn that kind of trust - neither has the US (or most European) government(s).

Apples iCloud is leaking andApple is cooperating with the NSA in the Prism program (no choice there - but still a fact)- so these data will be seen by others than the health personal.
And they will be stored on other computers than the Doctors.

Remember the good old days when your fungus was a matter between you and your Doctor?

More here

Snorkasaurus
Berserk

Re: The Apple watch

Postby Snorkasaurus » 19 Sep 2014, 20:32

viking60 wrote:You can have one for 350$.

... or a couple of months of food. And when you throw in the cost of an iPhone contract I assume it would be the equivalent of three or four months worth of food for me annually. Nice. :roll:

S.

Return to “Apple”