Where to buy Linux laptops?

Hardware tips and talk

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

viking60
Über-Berserk

Where to buy Linux laptops?

Postby viking60 » 04 Nov 2018, 11:42

Tired of fiddling with Windows laptops trying to install Linux on them? :boohoo: Not a nerd so you would not even know how to start going about that?

Well that is the problem because Microsoft and Apple have decided that their systems are the only options that should be offered.

This has been a success story for them but there are Hardware manufactures that do offer Laptops with pure Linux :s

That is not a self evident thing if you want to try out Linux. You hear the geeks talking about X and systemd and notice that they do so with a lot of passion and temper...and you don't even know what those are right?

Some people have a life with girlfriends, wives cars and sports and they are pretty much incompatible with fiddling under the hood of your laptop...

You simply need a computer to do the job like you need your car to drive and you don't need or want to be a mechanic for that right?

Linux is stable fast and secure (compared to Windows) and now you can simply buy it installed and set up on your Laptop.

Have a look at StationX they offer pretty much every Linux distro out there and you can buy it turn it on and start using it!

Manjaro is the most popular on distrowatch atm and would be an excelent choice but if you prefer Mint Ubuntu or Fedora you can have it?

Yeah you say...but how the hell should you be able to chose among them?

Eh.. True!

So ill make it easy for you: pick Mint or Manjaro!

Must dash of for my tennis game now - I use Manjaro so I have the time for it :-D
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

R_Head
Berserk

Re: Where to buy Linux laptops?

Postby R_Head » 04 Nov 2018, 15:45

Nice machines but pricey !! Would not mind having the Wide Screen one. :mrgreen:

gnuuser
Berserk

Postby gnuuser » 22 Nov 2018, 03:56

lately Ive been getting a few laptops into the shop where the owners were sick of windows.
Ive been installing FerenOS on them.
so far its been the easiest transition for windows users that Ive seen.
easy to install, easy to choose software for, and easy to update,
everything works out of the box ( and the software manager is simple to use and has loads of programs) including mutimedia codec pacs!
https://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=ferenos

Its a bit too simplistic for me (But Im used to doing a lot via cli) and you can but dont have to do a lot of cli with this distro
registered Linux user number 505431
Amateur radio call sign KC3TEC
miracle (mere-ack-ull) :
the aspiration of the indigent, the expectation of the indolent, and the inspiration of the ignorant.

Im so old even dirt was my apprentice!

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 23 Nov 2018, 12:26

That seems like an excellent choice. Being based on Mint and with the nice and understandable Cinnamon DE it looks like a safe bet.
Naturally I will have to test it now and write it up +1
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

Return to “Hardware”