liquid cooling systems

Hardware tips and talk

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

gnuuser
Berserk

liquid cooling systems

Postby gnuuser » 20 Sep 2018, 23:26

Ive seen a lot of people on different forums talking about liquid cooling systems and discussing ways to make them more efficient.
some were ok some were laughable, and some were less efficient than the old fashion cpu fan and heatsink.
Ive read a lot of discussions about types of coolant, airflow, fans, pumps etcetera.
but none about the efficiency of liquid inter-cooler technology!
this is something I have a lot of knowledge on and can design systems small scale for crucial computer systems.
not just for cpu's but hdd's as well.

I wish i owned a table top milling machine so i could manufacture the components myself
registered Linux user number 505431
Amateur radio call sign KC3TEC
miracle (mere-ack-ull) :
the aspiration of the indigent, the expectation of the indolent, and the inspiration of the ignorant.

Im so old even dirt was my apprentice!

R_Head
Berserk

Re: liquid cooling systems

Postby R_Head » 17 Oct 2019, 02:20

gnuuser wrote:I wish i owned a table top milling machine so i could manufacture the components myself

That, I got one but I use it to turn Rifle Barrels and make some tools like bushing pullers/installers. Not a high precission, some around 0.003 in tolerances. Also, I have the milling head for it.

gnuuser
Berserk

Postby gnuuser » 17 Oct 2019, 16:19

making the cpu heatsink from copper in 2 pieces and soldering them together.
the contact surface consisting of a flat plate of copper and a thicker fluid chamber milled with channels and tubes soldered in place.
inter-cooler process is simple: external reservoir with radiator submersed in fluid.
as fluid circulates from the cpu block it flows through the external radiator, and with the radiator being submersed in fluid the thermal transfer is by far more efficient.
the fluid used in the cpu section would consist of ethylene glycol (antifreeze) and the fluid in the external reservoir can be water,
while its true a cpu can generate a lot of heat it would take one hell of a lot to heat a 5 gallon bucket of water to a point above the cpu danger limits.
one mission critical server we built we actually made "jackets" for the hard drives consisting of copper tubing as well as the cpu cooling block.
and the inter-cooler reservoir consisted of a 35 gallon plastic barrel
the cpu temp never went above 37.7778 (100 Fahrenheit)
miracle (mere-ack-ull) :
the aspiration of the indigent, the expectation of the indolent, and the inspiration of the ignorant.

R_Head
Berserk

Postby R_Head » 19 Oct 2019, 03:32

What about an Immersion Cooling System. The 1st time I saw such fluid was around the early 80s on a TV show called "That is Incredible". They took a TV and dump it on a small pool filled with this liquid and continued to work. The fluid is non conductive. Just seal the case and dump this fluid on the Mother Board and even the Power Supply.

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/data-center ... n-cooling/

Data center immersion cooling involves directly immersing IT hardware in a non-conductive liquid such as 3M™ Fluorinert™ Electronic Liquids or 3M™ Novec™ Engineered Fluids. Heat generated by the electronic components is directly and efficiently transferred to the fluid, reducing the need for active cooling components, such as interface materials, heat sinks and fans that are common in air cooling. Liquid immersion cooling with 3M fluids can provide tremendous energy savings while increasing server density and shrinking data center size.

gnuuser
Berserk

Postby gnuuser » 19 Oct 2019, 17:58

i saw it too kind of an expensive setup. plus the mess you would need to clean up if a leak developed.
pretty to look at but not very practical.
miracle (mere-ack-ull) :

R_Head
Berserk

Postby R_Head » 20 Oct 2019, 00:15

Depends of the box. I think is easy but if you are thinking on modding an off the shelf air cooled box is going to be hard.. other than that, should be very straight forward.

Return to “Hardware”