USB TV Tuner [Solved]

Hardware tips and talk

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Re: USB TV Tuner

Postby dedanna1029 » 28 Jul 2010, 22:00

I knew there was something you weren't "getting" about PulseAudio. Rolf is perfectly correct; it should already be in your system tray.

Code: Select all

Description: A simple GTK based volume control tool for the PulseAudio sound server
Depends on: gnome-icon-theme, libcanberra, libglademm, pulseaudio, libsigc++
Required by:
Size: 600 kB
Packager: Jan "heftig" Steffens <jan.steffens@gmail.com>
Built: Sun Jun 20 19:28:10 2010
Installed: Sat Jul 17 05:34:20 2010
Reason: Excplicitly installed

This is from Arch; in Mandriva it has different dependencies. It's all I need to run my onboard sound, as well as my Audigy2 card side by side. When I need one, I just use pavucontrol to switch to it, and back.
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 28 Jul 2010, 22:02

R_Head wrote:I let K answer that one ;)

What one?
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.

R_Head
Berserk

Postby R_Head » 29 Jul 2010, 14:26

Ok... That was my post in Mandriva Forum :lol:

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 29 Jul 2010, 15:35

Oh. You dare to post an MDV forum post at bjoernvold? I should give you a temporary banning. heh.
No gods, no masters.

R_Head
Berserk

Postby R_Head » 29 Jul 2010, 21:15

Oh well, is not the 1st time I made posts on several forums for the same thing.

Think of the analogy of rattling the cage. +1

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 29 Jul 2010, 22:13

Yes but you must not speak of edit: this K at that "other forum". Capiche? And that, I'm serious on.
No gods, no masters.

R_Head
Berserk

Postby R_Head » 30 Jul 2010, 00:24

You guys are the goods is fixed via Keffeine.

I used the commands that Rolf gave me " rpm -qa|grep pulse "
Opened Kaffeine and there it was the device.

Got it to scan and as a bonus, I got the HD Channels too :)

You guys rock!!!! :s :s :A :A :B :B

rolf
Guru-Berserk

Postby rolf » 30 Jul 2010, 03:07

Oh, well, that command just has rpm tell you what packages are installed with 'pulse' in the name. My theory was the missing audio might be due to a missing pulse plugin and that you should install anything I had that you didn't, since it was working, here.

I think there are quirks in the system. Sometimes rebooting or, like I said, replugging the usb connection after boot seems to make tv work where it didn't before. Just running rpm -q is a 'query' and doesn't really change anything. See 'man rpm'. :)

Good job that it's working!

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 30 Jul 2010, 05:47

What rolf was trying to get you to do is figure out what pulse packages were *not* installed, so you could get the ones you needed.

I still think you need to install pavucontrol. It will help in a lot of things.

And for future reference, when someone asks you to run something in terminal (as rolf did with you), you need to run it and copy/paste the output of it into here for that person's viewing in code tags, so they can help you. This is a must.

I still think you're going to have future issues with this.
No gods, no masters.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 30 Jul 2010, 05:49

rolf wrote:Yes. Just to be clear, I suggest running the tailf command and watch when you plug in the tuner connection.

I intended pavcontrol to stand for Pulse Audio Volume Control, the gui in the menu. Actually, the command is pavucontrol, which will start it from terminal or Run command. In that module, there are drop-down menus for different profiles, including on the 'Input Devices' tab, where I see my hvr tuner. I've found that changing the profile, in the past, made a difference whether I hear sound or not, in the 'Configuration' tab, also. I don't have a clear memory of this related to the tuner but it might be something to try, reverting to the original profile in case the others don't work at all.

You didn't do this either. You need to. If you don't get what he's saying, then ask for clarification.

This is how we help people. Without you having gone through the steps that rolf suggested, we may have no clue how to help you when this backfires. Note I said "when", and not "if".

*spanking

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=234

If you are going to ask for help here from these fine folks we have here (and they are literal treasures, hand-picked to start us off *because* they are treasures), then you will do as they ask to help you.
No gods, no masters.

R_Head
Berserk

Postby R_Head » 30 Jul 2010, 13:22

dedanna1029 wrote:I still think you need to install pavucontrol. It will help in a lot of things.

I never called it that way but once I ran it I knew what it was intermediately (pulse audio settings, duh!). Yes they are installed and that is where I was trying to adjust the sound and that is where I can see the progression bar moving. The problem perhaps was a plugin or some of that nature.

I kind of knew what was going on but did not know what components does what for me to make a good assessment.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 30 Jul 2010, 15:20

Another reason you go through the steps that are outlined to you, so you can learn as well what's going on, and what's what, and so can others from your resolution.

As it is, we have no cause here, we have no effect, we have no resolution because you didn't state specifically what you did when. Took you this long to say what you just did. All we have, is pretty much you all of a sudden went into Kaffeine, and "voila it's working", whereas it wasn't before, just out of the clear blue sky. If you don't know what components are what, then ask. rolf even suggested that you could try running pavucontrol from command line - you could've posted the output from that, and we could've directed you from there. Or, for that matter, post a screenshot! Ask, what the heck is this!

If you don't know what something is, then ask, so we can see what's going on, others can who have the same issue, and so can you. This is how we learn about Linux.

I can not stress this enough!
No gods, no masters.

Return to “Hardware”