New Lenovo and MS has stored info about my wlan!

Hardware tips and talk

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

viking60
Über-Berserk

New Lenovo and MS has stored info about my wlan!

Postby viking60 » 29 Mar 2017, 19:15

I bought a Lenovo ideapad 110 today and had to go through the motions of setting up the computer.
I have the option to accept Microsoft's terms ... or don't get the computer running...
So I am forced to accept what I really don't. :berserk2

Well the step where I should connect to the internet is really spooky because this installation software suggested my old wlan connection that i called:
:drummer
cultofthedeadcow

Now don't tell me that this is a so common name that Microsoft and Lenovo would have that stored by default!

Yeah but your Wlan is sending the strongest signal so your computer catches that - you say?

Nope - I don't use it anymore and :S I AM NOT EVEN IN THE SAME COUNTRY! The computer was bought in a different country - and it is not online!

So here we have a case of Microsoft getting these personal data that I only used with Linux!!! :f :berserkf

Did my former ISP - Nextgentel - hand it over to them?
They are Swedish and therefore not to be trusted :snooty:

How the installation went? I'll tell you later ... right now I am too pissed off.
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

R_Head
Berserk

Re: New Lenovo and MS has stored info about my wlan!

Postby R_Head » 30 Mar 2017, 23:55

Geeez..... I guess you have to do port blocking on your NAT to prevent the machine from calling the mothership !

viking60
Über-Berserk

Re: New Lenovo and MS has stored info about my wlan!

Postby viking60 » 29 Apr 2017, 18:25

Ok I have calmed down and cannot rule out that I have played around with that wifi -years ago.

To sum up this Lenovo Ideapad 110
Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-7100U CPU @ 2.40GHz

So even if Windows 10 not exactly is making it easy to install Linux - it will work. So we can put Lenovo ideapad 110 on the HW white list.
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

Return to “Hardware”