Think smartphones are a privacy nightmare?

Hardware tips and talk

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

viking60
Über-Berserk

Think smartphones are a privacy nightmare?

Postby viking60 » 09 Feb 2015, 12:38

So you think smartphones are a privacy nightmare with their geolocation and remote camera activation, and "trace me if I am stolen" functions?
Enter the Smart TV +1

Samsung has made a TV with voice activation and find it necessary to warn you not to not be too private in front of the TV.
I shit you not:
:A
If you enable Voice Recognition, you can interact with your Smart TV using your voice. To provide you the Voice Recognition feature, some voice commands may be transmitted (along with information about your device, including device identifiers) to a third-party service that converts speech to text or to the extent necessary to provide the Voice Recognition features to you. In addition, Samsung may collect and your device may capture voice commands and associated texts so that we can provide you with Voice Recognition features and evaluate and improve the features. Please be aware that if your spoken words include personal or other sensitive information, that information will be among the data captured and transmitted to a third party through your use of Voice Recognition.

Samsung does not know who will receive the information but it will be some service provider.

And the various agencies protecting us from Terrorism and serious crime, will naturally consider that information as "theirs".

But the scariest part is probably the facial recognition service:

Your SmartTV is equipped with a camera that enables certain advanced features, including the ability to control and interact with your TV with gestures and to use facial recognition technology to authenticate your Samsung Account on your TV. The camera can be covered and disabled at any time, but be aware that these advanced services will not be available if the camera is disabled.
Gesture Control. To provide you with the ability to control your SmartTV through gestures, the camera mounted on the top of your SmartTV can recognise your movements. This enables you, for example, to move between panels and zoom in or zoom out. We record information about when and how users use gesture controls so that we can evaluate the performance of these controls and improve them.
Facial Recognition. The camera situated on the SmartTV also enables you to authenticate your Samsung Account or to log into certain services using facial recognition technology. You can use facial recognition instead of, or as a supplementary security measure in addition to, manually inputting your password. Once you complete the steps required to set up facial recognition, an image of your face is stored locally on your TV; it is not transmitted to Samsung. If you cancel your Samsung Account or no longer desire to use facial recognition, please visit the applicable settings menu to delete the stored image. While your image will be stored locally, Samsung may take note of the fact that you have set up the feature and collect information about when and how the feature is used so that we can evaluate the performance of this feature and improve it.

Yes Samsung will not use it if you don't like it and they will delete everything if you disable the service but they will keep the data from the period when you used it.

So your face will be out there and it will not be only samsung that uses it. Those people protecting you will feel entitled to those data too.

Here is the Samsung Privacy Policy Smart TV supplement

At least they are warning you.

So don't use facial recognition - use regular passwords instead and drop the voice activation.

Better yet; stay away from smart TV's

If you want to be Al Bundy in front of your TV that should be your business - not everybody else's :naughty:

More here
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

R_Head
Berserk

Re: Think smartphones are a privacy nightmare?

Postby R_Head » 09 Feb 2015, 14:25

I have a Samsung Plasma TV that has all that BS. You can stow the cam and does not look at you and the most important thing.... want privacy? Is easy and simple, DO NOT CONNECT THE TV ON YOUR HOME NETWORK !!!!

My point is, why the TV need to be connected to the web? If cannot connect, nothing can go out or in :greetings

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 09 Feb 2015, 14:45

Well the Coaxial cables that are used for TV can be used for internet too, so your TV is sort of always connected to the network. If they have put a computer in there they can communicate via that structure. :f

The TV has always been a receiver - it is not to hard to make it a sender too.

It is tough for you to control so you have to trust that turning off those functions respects your privacy; as they say.
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.

R_Head
Berserk

Postby R_Head » 10 Feb 2015, 02:19

Good point on the Coax part of it. If that is the case, why having a NIC (Wired/Wireless)? Another thing is, when I click unintentionaly on the TV Guide, comes in blank.

Ether way, I think my TV is not that smart enough yet.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 10 Feb 2015, 11:23

No hanging on to your old TV seems to make more sense than ever.
TV is one of those everyday things that is perfect for surveillance - everybody uses it and interacts with it.

Basically if someone puts "smart" in front of an electronic device - it is dangerous +1

The technology allows interaction on a personal level - which is fascinating - but that personal info will be stored and (ab)used.

Snorkasaurus
Berserk

Postby Snorkasaurus » 10 Feb 2015, 15:50

viking60 wrote:No hanging on to your old TV seems to make more sense than ever.

If you have a non-smart LCD, plasma, or LED TV that stops working, it might be easy and cheap to repair, as long as you know how to solder. In some cases it is just a matter of replacing a few capacitors which are quite inexpensive. Look up your model number on YouTube and see if anyone has a video walkthrough for your particular TV. If you can't find instructions for your particular model you can do a generic search and just modify the instructions to fit your TV.

S.

R_Head
Berserk

Postby R_Head » 10 Feb 2015, 21:44

There are some decent TVs without Mic and Cams. Bought an LG that has not even a NIC and is a decent LED. Same with another Samsung LED that I have in my room.

Return to “Hardware”