[solved with purchase] Debating new laptop

Hardware tips and talk

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

[solved with purchase] Debating new laptop

Postby dedanna1029 » 28 Dec 2014, 00:49

The Toshiba NB-255 netbook I had crashed on me, it was user error. :lol:

These days, Lenovos and Acers are looking really good to me, and since I'm working again am debating this Lenovo here.

I've been out of the loop however hardware-wise, and am wondering if anyone knows of a comparable Acer that I can look at?

I like the sound, graphics, everything on the Lenovo, but would like to get a larger screen if I can.

My budget is $300-350 USD max (I know cheapskate but it's all I can do. *shrug)

Anyone with any thoughts?

Thanks!

p.s.: Remember, I am an audiophile.
Last edited by dedanna1029 on 11 Aug 2015, 02:37, edited 1 time in total.
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

Snorkasaurus
Berserk

Re: Debating new laptop

Postby Snorkasaurus » 28 Dec 2014, 01:09

I have been running an Acer X52f for a while now [a couple years I guess] without any serious issues. I have Win7 as the host OS but am usually using an XP VirtualBox VM on it rather than using Win7 directly. I have tried a few Linux flavours on it successfully but didn't keep them. The touchpad drivers [Windows only] allow me to automatically disable the pad when a USB mouse is plugged in (a big feature for me as I hate those touchpads). I wish the battery had held up better, but then again all laptop batteries are famous for being crappy.

Don't forget that if you do any "file sharing" at home, and if you already have GigE switching, you may want to get gigabit ethernet on your laptop.

Also don't forget that if you have to manage hardware devices like routers, switches, etc. you may want to get something with a serial port (or have a USB->RS232 cable handy).

My 3¢
S.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 28 Dec 2014, 01:32

Yeah, I'm not into touchscreens at all. Give me a good keyboard and mouse any day of the week. Meant to mention that above, and also that I'm craving a full laptop. Unfortunately, they want to make these notebooks, netbooks, etc., and they want to make them all tiny. :( Gone are the days, I guess, of real laptops, and my sight needs them bigger now. What a conundrum! I think that 15.6" screen will be the smallest screen size I can handle.

I'll check out that Acer. Thank you!

Wait, are you sure that's Acer and not Asus? I'm finding a lot of Asuses with that model, but not but one Acer?
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.

Snorkasaurus
Berserk

Postby Snorkasaurus » 28 Dec 2014, 02:16

Sorry my bad! I totally meant ASUS!

S.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 28 Dec 2014, 06:59

'tis OK, but I'm not into the Asus line right now. I'm looking more into Acer. Thank you though. :)
No gods, no masters.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 05 Jan 2015, 11:51

This Packard is well within your budget:
:A
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Packard-Bell-Ea ... uctDetails

It has no touch screen and you can turn of UEFI secure boot and install Linux (you have a second to hit F2 during boot).
If you go to a store you might want to test that Bios setup by disabling secure boot and run a Linux Live CD.
A good sales person will let you do that - a bad sales person will not, and insist that Windows 8 is great, so you do not need to do that.
(In which case he will obviously not be selling anything to you :-D )

The F keys are strange though, because you have do hold the Fn key to make them work (not during boot, but later).
I do not care to much about that extra "shift" key.

And there are sound keys on the keyboard that may affect the software indicators in your Linux DE.
:A
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=3253

I had trouble installing Manjaro on it but Mageia worked.
The screen is good and big enough - that is a pluss.

Not the greatest but cheep - and can be made to work.
Acer might be a better choice. I have no Lenovo experience.
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 28 Mar 2015, 00:37

Thank you viking.

I think however I'm going to hold out for a Lenovo or Acer. The price on the above one has gone up and not down, unfortunately, so I have to do some more looking. *sigh
No gods, no masters.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 07 Aug 2015, 03:29

So, since the one I thought I wanted above went up in price, then went back down, vascillates all over the place, I think I'm just going to get it over with and get this sweet baby. Now. I've got a settlement from a car wreck in, and I think this would be a good investment with a small portion of it.

However, remember I've been out of the game for a while, and will need help getting around the possible UEFI boot. I want to keep the Windows, as I have some games that will only run on it (mostly of the Humble Bundle sort), but want to dual-boot with Arch (where I'll really be :lol:).

Thanks all, this is resolved unless I do run into UEFI.
No gods, no masters.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 07 Aug 2015, 08:45

Looks powerful and good :s By now the Uefi install should be manageable - most Distros have polished that bit these days.
I have made a few Efi installs on Virtualbox.

On real hardware I simply turned off Uefi and installed Linux on the entire disk (goodbye Windows 8).

Since Windows 8 comes without any media you can make a backup that will fill some 16 DVD's (It was big) - but that is deliberately made difficult by Microsoft.

If you want to make a dual boot you will need to make an Uefi install.

There is the potential problem where Windows can alter Uefi with updates - and that could be bad news for Linux though.

Microsoft may love Linux these days, but only to the extent they can control it....
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 07 Aug 2015, 17:33

Yeah, which is exactly what I'm worried about...

I'm debating on the free upgrade to Win 10, and what would happen with the UEFI with it.

It couldn't hurt to get my hands dirty with Windows and get familiar with it again as I'll be using it with servers, etc., but if it's going to prevent me from installing my beloved Linux then I'll have to bite the bullet and be rid of Windows altogether, and will.

Thanks for the feedback! :)
No gods, no masters.

Return to “Hardware”