The smallest router in the world

Hardware tips and talk

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

viking60
Über-Berserk

The smallest router in the world

Postby viking60 » 18 Jan 2013, 12:18

You do not have to be a backpacker anymore to transport your router. Many hotels have wifi only in the reception and that does not help you much in the privacy of your room.
But Asus has this little thing called WL-330NUL and it is pretty much the size of an USB pen.

If there is a LAN connection in you hotel room you can connect a LAN/Cat5 cable to it and the other end to your mini-router.
If that plug in the wall is connected you will then be able to surf the internet with wifi.

I have a bit trouble with the USB power supply though because that makes it...not wireless :shock: But if you have two laptops in your hotel room then you have one that is completely wireless :-D
(Actually this would probably be the case if you carry a laptop. You can connect that, and surf in bed with your Smartphone)
This thing is brand new so there is not much information about it yet - so there will be more to come, I guess.

Still this has the gadget factor that makes it worth mentioning.+1
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

jkerr82508
Guru-Berserk

Re: The smallest router in the world

Postby jkerr82508 » 18 Jan 2013, 16:34

You could presumably use one of those USB adaptor plugs that are used for charging mobile phones to provide power. Thus even though you have only one laptop it could be wirelessly connected to the Internet.

Jim

rolf
Guru-Berserk

Postby rolf » 18 Jan 2013, 16:54

I arrived at usb wall charger before scrolling down to Jim's solution. How about, also, use this to add a wireless lan to a home/office environment with no wireless router?Image
Gadget good.Image

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 18 Jan 2013, 19:13

Oh please guys; I am a simple magazine reader: How can I understand this without pictures. :confused
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.

rolf
Guru-Berserk

Postby rolf » 18 Jan 2013, 19:28

Ok, Editor-Berserk, I can see I was not too clear. How about, you have internet and a router or, at least, a switch, at home but no wireless router. Couldn't you plug this gadget into a desktop usb port for power, and rj-45 from the switch to the other end of the gadget and, viola!: instant wireless router upgrade.

Also, for the other trick, in case you don't see it and iianm, you could get a usb wall charger Image or similar with some exotic prong layout to power the gadget, plug in rj-45 and viola! part deux.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 18 Jan 2013, 19:35

Thanks- much better! Even if you do have strange plugs :-D That would make this thing a handy transportable router.

Return to “Hardware”