APC the Raspberry pi competitor

Hardware tips and talk

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

viking60
Über-Berserk

APC the Raspberry pi competitor

Postby viking60 » 24 May 2012, 15:52

The Android PC System can do a bit more than Raspberry pi and is a bit more expensive (49 $).
ACP is an ARM-based System-on-a-Chip running Android, so you are locked down a bit more than with Raspberry pi.
Performance improvements are mainly due to the double amount of RAM (512 MB) and a 800 Mhz cpu.
It also has more ports which is only natural since it is bigger than Raspberry pi.
APC was not built like an ordinary PC. For openers, we started with an awareness that the purpose of a computer is to connect to the Internet. It is the Internet that now defines computing. When you begin here, magic happens.

Expensive, overpowered CPUs and bloated software are no longer relevant. With this awareness, we were able to drop power consumption to the point of making an energy-saving light-bulb jealous.

Interesting! But I am not as charmed by this one as I am by Rasberry pi - yet.
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Re: APC the Raspberry pi competitor

Postby dedanna1029 » 24 May 2012, 16:00

Yeah, I'm not so sure I am, either.
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

Return to “Hardware”