Hey I got a birthday present -LaCie Porsche

Hardware tips and talk

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

viking60
Über-Berserk

Hey I got a birthday present -LaCie Porsche

Postby viking60 » 16 Sep 2011, 08:46

ImageI got a 2 TB La Cie USB3 Porsche design HD. Now I need some guru advice. It comes with the usual auto format Windows stuff. So question no one is:
What format to pick for a computer backup?
Question no 2.
It has the option to format it for use with Linux and mac but max partition size for this is 32 GB (Fat32 limitation?) while the WIndows partition is 1.96 TB.
What hapens if I ignore the entire windows formating stuff and make the entire enchilada Ext4 - and is Ext4 the best for an external USB?
Question no 3
How do I test that I have USB3 speed? If I remember corectly I will only get USB2 speed if I conect to an USB2 port. Problem: I cannot se a difference in the ports :confused
Edit:
Hmm I wonder... could it be that a USB3 disk is delivered only with USB2 cable? It sure looks that way.
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

viking60
Über-Berserk

Re: Hey I got a birthday present -LaCie Porsche

Postby viking60 » 16 Sep 2011, 12:27

Urgh forget it. I just realized that my PC is to old for USB3 :berserkf
Here I have this i7 superduper gaming machine - and it is to old already :liar:
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.

rolf
Guru-Berserk

Postby rolf » 16 Sep 2011, 17:19

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

I've just been looking around about the pre-installed software on, for example, Seagate Free Agent, and saw some linux user(s) advised just format away the original controlling software and use is as an external storage device. On filesystem, I always use reiserfs, have had, virtually, no problems. YMMV :geek:

Don't have any experience with USB3 but, maybe, you could get a pci(e) card. There was one post I recently read with some points here:
Not getting USB 3.0 speeds

Happy birthday! :berserkf

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 16 Sep 2011, 23:41

:greetings Thank you! If I could remember it, I would tell you how old I am :think:
I think I will go for that card. It seems like those problems were solved. The first rsync of our superduper backupscript takes way to much time (the second one was done in seconds of course).
And yes formating it with the internal software in Windows (NTFS) works just fine! Thanks!

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 17 Sep 2011, 02:18

Happy Birthday, Boss! Like rolf, soon as I buy any external drive, the very first thing I do is format it reiserfs! :)
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 17 Sep 2011, 09:41

Well call me crazy but I don't like this guy:
Hans Thomas Reiser (born December 19, 1963) is an American computer programmer, entrepreneur, and convicted murderer. He is the creator and primary developer of the ReiserFS computer file system, which is contained within the Linux kernel, as well as its attempted successor, Reiser4. In 2004 he founded Namesys, a corporation meant to coordinate the development of both file systems. In April 2008, Reiser was convicted of the first degree murder of his wife, Nina Reiser, who disappeared in September 2006. He subsequently pleaded guilty to a reduced charge of second degree murder, as part of a settlement agreement that included disclosing the location of Nina Reiser's body, found buried in a shallow grave near the home that she shared with Mr. Reiser.

And this is not peachy either:
Novell / SuSE move away from ReiserFS to ext3
Jeff Mahoney of SuSE wrote a post on Sep 14 2006 proposing to move from ReiserFS to ext3 for the default installation file system.[6] Some reasons he mentioned were scalability, "performance problems with extended attributes and ACLs", "a small and shrinking development community", and that "Reiser4 is not an incremental update and requires a reformat, which is unreasonable for most people."[6] On October 4 he wrote a response comment on a blog in order to clear up some issues.[14] He wrote that his proposal for the switch was unrelated to Reiser's "legal troubles" (i.e., Hans Reiser's prosecution for murdering his wife)[15] Mahoney wrote he "was concerned that people would make a connection where none existed" and that "the timing is entirely coincidental and the motivation is unrelated."[14]
On Oct 12, 2006, Novell similarly announced that SuSE Linux Enterprise would switch from ReiserFS to ext3.

Looks like a far from perfect system made by Dexter!

rolf
Guru-Berserk

Postby rolf » 17 Sep 2011, 17:28

I've heard of the murder (in the town where I live). The filesystem he authored "just works" (where have I heard that? :lolup ) for me, has done for over 11 years. I am not aware of the lack of features I don't use, atm. The future is uncertain but there is some work still being done to make a patch for kernel-3
Edward Shishkin wrote:On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 3:51 AM, <doiggl@velocitynet.com.au> wrote:
> Hello,
> I have a question for Edward Shishkin
> What is the most likely next reiser4 patch, will it be for 2.6.39x or
> 3.0.0x or something else ?
>

I do have the stuff against .39, and, I guess, it also works for 3.0
However an old bug still takes place, which has become rather
annoying after pdflush has been removed in .30

The common idea is that I wouldn't like to put buggy stuff for
public needs.

Thanks,
Edward.

> The reason I ask is, so I can setup a compile environment setup using this
> type of envionment[1]
> [1]https://build.opensuse.org/package/show?package=kernel-reiser4&project=home%3Adoiggl
>
> Thanks Glenn

(I have some curiosity about reiser4 as it reports some performance benefits, along with the stability I've experienced.)

It's not my role to enact "justice" by boycotting something useful, afaik. Others have and continue to contribute to this code, for now. Unfortunately, the personality of the creator of this filesystem makes future development more uncertain, such is the focus of the common detractor, perhaps unlikely but I will use it as long as it's working for me, as long as there is no sensible reason to migrate to another. :berserk2

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 17 Sep 2011, 21:53

Yes I can see that it is your baby. And I have never used it so I have no clue. But according to some other discussion here you can re size your partitions without loosing data.
With ext4 I have not been so lucky. But on everyday use I am happy with ext4.
So I will respect your conservative attitude sticking with the stuff that works. That is exactly what I do too :-D
(I am a bit curious about that Reiser stuff though,since it is used by gurus) So one day I will test it.
Funny how reluctant one is to make a change - I can really feel my body protesting. :lol:

rolf
Guru-Berserk

Postby rolf » 17 Sep 2011, 23:28

Of course, "guru" does not apply as I am just reporting successful personal experience, so far, including resizing (I favor the impressive (again, my (limited) experience) gparted :s over diskdrake, now, when there is some choice). The risks are high, so conservative, however that translates from individual observations, is reasonable. :greetings

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 18 Sep 2011, 00:45

rolf wrote:Of course, "guru" does not apply as I am just reporting successful personal experience,

Right - that's what Gurus do :-D
I also prefer gparted, noting is better. But I have fallen on my nose even with that when my / has been full (on ext4).

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 18 Sep 2011, 22:37

rolf wrote:The filesystem he authored "just works" (where have I heard that? :lolup ) for me, has done for over 11 years. I am not aware of the lack of features I don't use, atm.

7 years and counting here. I don't care about lack of features. I use the ones it does have, and they work very well. That's all I care about. :)

It's not up to me to judge his personal life, or his general standards. It's up to me what he does with my Linux file system, and he does it extremely well.
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

Return to “Hardware”