Hibernate, sleep or shutdown?

Hardware tips and talk

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

viking60
Über-Berserk

Hibernate, sleep or shutdown?

Postby viking60 » 24 Aug 2011, 12:10

I have this Acer Aspire 5250 laptop and I have a hard time getting wireless to play along. I can say for sure that networkmanager will make it freeze up to the point where I have to cut the power with brute force.
I use wpa2-psk and since it is the only unbroken encryption I will not compromise on it. So I config my /etc/wpa_supplicant and make a netcfg profile in /etc/network.d.
And make it autostart. :coffee_smile:
This config is not the same on all distros and that this is not the point either.
I have this problem of getting my wireless to complete the handshakes and whatever - and often failing forcing me to do a

Code: Select all

sudo netcfg my_wireless up

Now this is OK for me but my wife would just start a revolution declaring both me and the laptop as hopeless and dysfunctional.
And she would be right!
Linux will get nowhere if it is depending on "open a terminal and write something I absolutely do not understand".
It should just work and get the job done after you have turned it on. :T
This brings me to the point;
The wireless is nice and dandy after the initial process (of getting it to connect).
Now I have this tidy thing where I want to shut down my lap when I close the lid.
My wife just closes and it ends the work nice and tidy.
...And then we may have the wireless connection circus on the next boot. :pray:
So I thought I set the box to hibernate every time the lid is closed. :idea:
And that works just fine and the "boot time" is one sec
According to my wife it is perfect - but it is not tidy :geek: or is it?

What about power consumption?
Well it cant be that big an issue since Gnome3 comes with a menu without the power off option.
Will it get hot in the "bag"?
I don't think so; that would be the sleep function if I have understood this correctly.

Hibernate just saves an image and pops it right back into memory when you wake the lap up -right?

So that eh... makes hibernate a perfect solution: Not only does everything work - It starts everything up where you left it in a matter of seconds. Just as a bonus you got 50 % more efficient in the process by reducing the unproductive boot waiting time.

If we stipulate than 1 billion people are waiting 33 seconds for their system to show up and they have an average salary of 10$ an hour it would add up to 8,3 million dollars a day (one boot and hibernate takes 3 sec. so the saved time is 30 sec.).

So hibernate even saves us 8.3 million dollars a day - Grr I hate it when a bleeding amateur is right.
It just is not tidy.... Must go now.... My wife just forced me to call my Psychiatrist......
It will not remove the wireless problem (only getting the config to work will do that) but with a lot of closing and opening within a short time frame it saves some trouble.
Help me out here guys:
Do you use Sleep and hibernate?
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Re: Hibernate, sleep or shutdown?

Postby dedanna1029 » 24 Aug 2011, 15:32

Nah I don't bother. No matter what I do my computer does it for me anyway, then I have a helluva time resuming. :( Would I do it without that issue? Probably not. My computer is always on except my external drives and subwoofer when I sleep, and I've never noticed much diff in my electric bill anyway. Screensavers are good enough for me.
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Re: Hibernate, sleep or shutdown?

Postby dedanna1029 » 24 Aug 2011, 15:38

With a laptop I'd probably shut down though. The only time one would get used with me is anywhere but home. Wouldn't make sense to leave it running at home when my trusty PC is sitting right here.
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

Return to “Hardware”